Chapter 26

in which girls night is surprisingly pleasant

The last detention.

Well, hopefully the last one. As long as I tried to lay low, like Snape had told me. Eh, unlikely.

This one was significantly shorter than the others. Half way in, my hand was bleeding again. Also half way in, Umbridge called Harry and I up to her desk.

"Letʹs see if youʹve got the message yet, shall we?" She said softly, reaching out her hand to take Harry's. When she took it and pressed a thumb to his hand, he wrenched his arm out of her grip and leapt to his feet, staring at her. She looked back at him, a smile stretching her wide, slack mouth.

"Yes, it hurts, doesnʹt it?" she said softly. I stared at Harry in confusion, and Umbridge let out one of her little laughs. "Well, I think I've made my point. You may go, Mr. Potter, Miss Stevens."

"Dude, what happened back there?" I asked in concern, a few seconds after we had left the room.

"N-nothing." He stammered and gave me a very forced smile. "I gotta go-gotta go see if Ron's made the team."

Right. Quidditch.

"I'm so excited for the girls night!" Daphne said, linking our arms and leading me...somewhere. We were trying to find Pansy to solidify plans for tonight, but she wasn't in the Great Hall, or in the Slytherin Common Room.

"I've never really had a girls night, to be honest." I admitted, looking down sheepishly. "I mostly stuck to books back home-er, Ilvermorny." It hurt to say home. Especially since I didn't know if I would ever be going back.

"Well, tonight that is going to change!" Daphne beamed as we passed Theo, who was sitting by a window, reading a book called, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

"Theo, have you seen Pansy anywhere?" Daphne asked as we approached, and he shut the book with a snap.

"Yeah, actually." He said, standing up. "She was with Malfoy and the Quidditch team. Said they were gonna go watch the Gryffindors practice."

"Dear Merlin." Daphne said, and turned the opposite way. "We should hurry before they start throwing punches. Or jinxes."

"Would they really do that?" I asked, hurrying my steps along with, and Theo caught up with us a second later.

"Oi, don't leave me behind." He grumbled. "But yeah, they would. They've done it in the past a few times."

"Sounds horrible." I said as we got outside, beginning our trek to the Quidditch Pitch.

Once we got there, I was again reminded how truly amazing magic is. The pitch was huge. The 'walls' of the stadium were covered in the four house banners, and the three giant hoops at both ends of the oval shaped stadium looked a mile high in the air, even though I knew they weren't.

The gentle bliss of the Quidditch Pitch was cut short.

"Hey, Johnson, whatʹs with your robes, anyway?" shrieked Pansy Parkinson. "You look like you got them from a twice used store!"

I clenched my jaw, stomping right up to the gang of Slytherins sitting in the stadium seats, laughing amongst themselves and making fun of the currently practicing Gryffindor team.

"Pansy, shut the hell up!" I called up at her. "You're only making yourself look bad! You complain about nobody liking you all the time, so something about it! Don't be a sick!"

All of the Slytherin's paused what they were doing to listen to me, some of them looking either guilty before Malfoy laughed. "It's just a bit of fun Stevens. Don't be a buzzkill."