Chapter 19

in which the journey truly begins

"Blair. Blair, wake up!"

I groaned and blearily rolled over. "Wa-what time is it?" I grumbled, opening my eyes to be greeted with dark. "Because it is certainly not nine thirty, the time I agreed to wake up at."

"It's five." Emma's unbothered voice said, and I fell back onto the pillow with a groan.

"So why the hell-wait a second, you're talking to me again?" I asked angrily, sitting up and crossing my arms as I stared at her dark outline in the dark room.

"Well....you're leaving in six hours. I thought this was the best time to apologize." She said, crossing her arms as well as she stared back.

"The best time to apologize was like, the day after we fought, not two weeks after!" I said, keeping my voice hushed. The last thing I wanted was to wake someone up.

"I was mad." She said, the heathen. "And besides, there weren't any good chances to talk to you alone."

"We share a room!" I waved my arms, almost like a helicopter. "You could've talked to me literally any evening!"

Emma hmphed, turning away. "I was upset, what did you expect? Besides, do you want to talk or not? Because I can go right back to sleep and you'll leave without even a goodbye."

"W-wait, of course I want to talk!" I scrambled to say, scooching forward. "You know that I do."

"Yeah, I do." She giggled to herself quietly. "Okay, so here's how this is gonna go. I'm gonna talk, and you're gonna listen. Then, you're gonna talk, and I'm gonna listen. And then we'll make up and pretend this never happened."

"What if us talking results in us just being more mad at each other?" I interrupted, earning a glare for her. "Okay, sorry. Proceed." Nah, cause genuine question.

"Thank you." She said, clearing her throat loudly, and I quickly shushed her.

"If you wake anyone up and bring down the rage of the whole house down on us, your head is on the chopping block." I hissed, crossing my arms.

"Like I was saying before someone broke the rules of our...deal, I want to talk. So listen." She scooched back a little bit, seeming suddenly anxious and nervous.

"The reason I didn't come talk to you right away wasn't because I was mad. I stopped being mad a few hours after we fought. I was scared. I was scared because I wasn't sure you would forgive me. I know how lame it sounds but it's true."

I sat quietly for a moment, sinking in the information. "But-but what about all the glares you've been giving me? Sure made it seem like you were mad."

"I had to make you think that I was mad so that you would stop trying to talk to me." She explained, with all the logic of a ten year old. "And while you did that, I tried to think of a way to apologize. So, this is it. Sorry for yelling at you."

I raised my eyebrows. "Wow. That sounded....so sincere. I'm crying tears of joy right now." I deadpanned, and she sighed.

"I'm not saying I didn't mean what I said. I did. But I'm just accepting it now. Heck, maybe next year I'll be able to go. Who knows, I might be a witch too!"

My heart ached for her, and I reached out to bring her closer to me, a sideways hug. "I-I don't know." I said softly. "Muggleborns are rare."

"It doesn't hurt to hope!" She retorted, sticking her tongue out at me. "It could still happen, you never know!"

"Well, we'll talk about it when your eleventh birthday rolls around." I compromised. I didn't want to tell her it would happen and get her hopes up. It was just cruel.