Chapter 48

in which we meet her mother (sort of)

I sat on the edge of my bed, staring at the letter in my hand that was addressed to me.

When I had picked it up in my room, when I was alone, it flashed gold and writing appeared on the front of the envelope.

From Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
to
Blair Stevens

"Not my name." I grumbled, standing up to go find a letter opener instead of just ripping the envelope open.

Blair

Yes, the name on your envelope is not yours, but I could not allow anyone else to know that you are the single living heir of Regulus Black. Once the war is over, you may go to the Ministry and claim your rightful name, Blair Calliope Black.

"That's actually really pretty." I murmured. "Looks like he broke the tradition of naming me after a star and instead my middle name is a goddess's."

You will find, enclosed also in this envelope, a second letter. I did not write this letter, merely intercepted it. Inside you will find a letter from your father, a family heirloom, and information about your birth mother.

I hope you do succeed. I did not bring you back from the future for nothing.

I paused, flipping the paper over. Nothing. It was blank.

"That doesn't make sense. That can't be it!" I exclaimed, shaking the paper as though it would make something appear.

I hesitantly picked up the envelope, peering inside. There indeed was a letter, at least a page worth of writing, a bulky looking package, and a smaller, yet thicker envelope that looked like it had multiple papers stacked on top of each other.

I decided to look at the thicker envelope first. Inside was a stack of papers, and a picture at the top.

The woman in the picture had short, wavy, brunette hair, resting just above her shoulders. Her eyes were tired, only exaggerated by the dark, deep bags under her eyes. Her nose was crooked, as if it had been broken before and hadn't healed properly.

She was looking straight at the camera, as if the picture had been taken right when she had turned to look at it.

There weren't any notes or forms from the prison, so I sat criss cross on my bed and looked at the next paper.

Dear Regulus

I don't know how to tell you this in person, or if I have the strength to do it in person, so I'll just have to do it now.

I'm pregnant. Yes, I know it's a terrible time for something like this to happen. We're in the middle of a war, and Dumbledore asked you to be a double agent-

"Dumbledore did FUCKING WHAT?!" I shrieked, staring at the words on the paper. They didn't change.

-I haven't seen you in weeks. I don't know where you are. Please come home soon, the house feels so empty without you.

Please stay safe. I know you joined the Death Eaters on your own accord, but now that you're spying for us everything is so much more dangerous.

Come home soon, please.

-Alphia

I stared at the paper in shock. Regulus was a double agent, a spie for Dumbledore. My mother was on the opposing side of the war, fighting against Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

Dear Alphia,

I promise I'll be home in time to welcome our child into the world. My work here is nearly done, He suspects the war will be over soon. Keep yourself safe, my love, and think of me when you look out at the ocean.