Chapter 21

in which she makes some friends

I didn't mind being sorted into Slytherin. Really, I didn't. I didn't have any of the house prejudice that other students had. It wouldn't have been bad to be in Gryffindor, where I knew a few people, but seeing as how Harry hadn't even tried to find me on the train, I figured they didn't like me very much.

When the hat was taken off, I glanced around the Great Hall, spotting the Slytherin table almost immediately. They were practically the only ones clapping and cheering. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw had a fair few people, and Gryffindor had the least. When I looked at Dumbledore, he was clapping as well, but his smile seemed just a little bit forced. Bitch-

I managed to spot Harry, Hermione, and Ron, who had been staring at me, and look away, at each other. I slipped off the stool, feeling a little dejected. But my spirits lifted when Blaise stood up, waving me over to him, and the corners of my lips quirked up as I walked over to him.

"I gotta say, you look good in Slytherin colors." Was the first thing he said when I sat down next to him and Theo. I glanced down at my robes. The inside of the robe was now green, and the blank spot just over my left breast haha, breast had a sewn Slytherin badge. Oh, and I was wearing a tie. Crazy how magic works.

"Thanks very much." I said with a smile. "I'm glad to be somewhere I know people. Well, ones that are nice to me anyways." Blaise followed my gaze to the Gryffindor table and made a face.

"I would stay away from those." He warned. "They don't like Slytherins. Take every chance they get to pick a fight with us."

"It's true." Pansy spoke up. "Last year, when I was in the library writing an essay, one of them charmed the book shut. Saw him giggling to his friend like he had done something funny."

Draco opened his mouth to speak, a scowl marring his features, but he was cut off by Dumbledore standing.

"To our newcomers, welcome!" He spoke, arms outstretched and a beam on his face. "To our old hands, welcome back! There is a time for speech making, but this is not it! Tuck in!" There was a smatter of applause and spots of laughter as Dumbledore sat down, and no sooner than he had, food appeared on all five tables in the Great Hall. Meat and vegetables, sauces and pies, bread and what appeared to be pumpkin juice.

I made a face. To be honest, I wasn't the fondest of the drink. But I didn't get much time to voice any opinions as everyone began piling their plates with food. As I took a bite of roast potatoes, I glanced around to see who I was sitting by.

Next to me were Blaise and Theo, across from us were Pansy, Draco, Crabbe and Goyle. Glancing around the table, everyone seemed to have a smile on their face, or at least was speaking to someone else. Slytherin seemed like a large, dysfunctional family that I might fit right into.

"So, Stevens." It took me a second to realize that Pansy was speaking to me, given the fact that I wasn't used to being spoken to with my last name. Must be a wizarding thing. "Why did you transfer to Hogwarts? Did Illvermorny let in too many mudbloods?"

"Hogwarts lets in too many of those as well, Pansy." Draco spoke up. "It probably wasn't that." I frowned. I really wasn't a fan of racism, or whatever it was that Draco seemed to love. Classism?

"You know what, this is why everyone hates you guys. You complain about everyone shitting on you, but you don't make an effort to change your attitude and try to be open to change. Until you try, no one else will either." I spoke up, idly pushing around some mashed potatoes around in my plata.

Everyone's eyes swiveled to Draco to see what he would say, and he had a scowl that just screamed bloody murder. He only rolled his eyes. "My father will hear about this." He muttered, but didn't say anything else as he went back to picking at his food.