Chapter 9 - Campfire

They sat in the light of a small fire, the shadows bouncing around in their faces as the flames moved with the weak wind that came from the canyon they stayed by. Rex and Ahsoka shared a black blanket over their shoulders and leaned against eachother where they sat on the improvised benches out of logs placed around the fire in a circle. With Anakin's tent far away they could talk loudly without disturbing him.

The smell of chicken spread around the group of about 20 when the porg-like bird was cooked in the flames. Rations may have been healthy but no way they'd be eating those when there were wildlife around them. Luckily for them Ahsoka knew a thing or two about hunting from her upbringing on Shili where it was an important tradition. She had been able to teach the clones a couple of things about it also when they had free-time out on planets. Wherever they were there was always something she could find or dig up that was edible and the clones eagerly took up all her knowledge.

Ahsoka laughed at a joke that Fives, who was sitting next to her, just said about the Separatists. Her young feminine laugh contrasted from the deep voices of the clones. She enjoyed spending time with them, it made her feel normal, or atleast more normal than usually. It gave her the feeling that she would come home to her parents after a long night out with her friends, partying and doing things they shouldn't. The clones were acting like brothers to her, except for Rex of course, and they were protective of her, not just because it was their duty, but also because they saw her as one of them. Another, even younger child, forced into a war she didn't even understand. They knew that she was being used to do the Republic's dirtywork just as much as they were.

"- You look so cute together," Kix teased the couple in center of attention. Since their relation being revealed everyone now wanted to tease and joke about them, including Kix. A tattoo on the side of his head was hard to read in the dark but everyone already knew what it said. He'd had it even before Ahsoka joined them on Christosis nearly two years ago and the message, 'A good droid is a dead one' was quite funny and therefor memorable. The medic was a real comedian although he never made pranks like the rest of the boys. He was also known for being completely immune to the mischief of the 501:st, something he had made sure of early on in the war. Pulling a prank on him was equal to no booze for the whole legion for a week, and if there was something the boys in the 501:st collectively liked doing on their freetime it was drinking.

Ahsoka glanced down and blushed and both her and Rex gave small smiles from his comment and she could feel Rex wrap his arms tighter around her. For once he wasn't wearing his upperbody-armour that usually was crushing her and the heat from his body nicely kept her from freezing. The days might have been warm on Saleucami but during the night it got really cold.

"- Hey look at me I am so cute and adorable when cuddling the captain." Fives poorly immitated Ahsoka by pitching his voice and pressing his side into Tup, who seemed very uncomfortable with the situation, all while having one of the blankets on his head representing her lekkus. He then continued, now looking at Tup; "Rex can you hold me? It's so cold an-"

He got disrupted and shut up. The humming sound of Ahsoka's shorter lightsaber was the only thing heard around the fire as she had taken it into her hand with the force and then placed it before his throat without even looking. Everything went quiet, she turned her head slowly to him and talked with a uppbeat tone.

"- And now you would be dead," She grinned wide at the trooper, and then returned to being deadserious, continuing: "Mess with me and I'll mess with you." Ahsoka looked him in the eyes and he seemed almost frightened for a second. Then the moment of proving her abilities passed and Ahsoka realised that perhaps she had been too harsh. She reversed her grip of the lightsaber and reached for Fives to take the weapon from her hand while smiling at him, making sure he knew it had been a joke. Great work Ahsoka, now the men will think you're homicidal.