Chapter 12 - Back on Coruscant

Ahsoka felt the familiar humm of the Venator entering hyperspace and looked up from the holopad to Rex sitting opposite of her. Their eyes met and she understood he too had felt it.

Rex had looked over Ahsoka with his head slightly leaned to the side ever since they arrived at the cuarters. He inspected her closely. She did seem fine with whatever news she got but he didn't belive it. For some reason the entire 501st legion had been pulled from the field in the middle of a Siege to return to the capitalplanet of the Republic and the systems in his holopad didn't indicate any reason for doing so as he scrolled through them. He hoped she would tell him before they arrived since she apparently was due to go to the Temple and get a briefing on a new mission and that meant that he probably wasn't going to see her until late that night or maybe even first the next day if unlucky. He checked up the current time on Coruscant and it seemed to be early morning in the senatorial district meaning he most likely would be asleep by the time Ahsoka got off her mission. The one really good thing that came from being off duty was sleeping whenever you wanted.

Rex checked on Ahsoka again and she still sat and read what he guessed was a holonovel. As he watched her swipe to change page the gravity on the ship slightly shifted for a second and he looked around himself. Ahsoka didn't seem to notice it and his eyes turned to the ceiling as a sound came running through the thick durasteel walls. In the corner of his eye he could see Ahsoka look up from her book when the sound came and he met eyes with her.

"- 30/35 minutes or so and we should be back," he told her and she nodded before turning her attention back to her reading and Rex did the same. Cato Neimoidia was relatively close to the core worlds, being in the colonies region so with hyperdrive the journey only took 45 minutes top.

A few minutes more of scrolling through different reports about the war effort and status of battles passed and Rex started to think he wouldn't find out what it was that caused their hurried transfer when a notification for a local news channel on Coruscant popped up at the top of his screen. He clicked it, not because he thought it actually would help him in any way but because he was slowly running out of options and was besides happy to catch up on what was going on lately before he arrived back there. He lazily read through the headline and immediately his eyes widened and he had to go back and re-read it just to be sure he got it right and it wasn't just his mind playing tricks on him. It took a second for it to slowly dawn on him and he then hurriedly skimmed through the whole thing in a single breath.

When he finished the article he rapidly layed the holopad down in his lap, only to less than a second later take it up again and look at it before repeating the earlier move and put it away. He turned, just as fast as he had done the other thing, to Ahsoka.

"- They bombed the kriffing JEDI TEMPLE?!?!" Were his words exactly as his face was starting to go red from rage. Ahsoka on the other hand, still completely calm, turned her holopad off, placed it on the mattress beside her and then turned so that her whole body was facing him, seemingly still calm. She met his eyes, and he could tell she really wasn't as composed as she wanted to give of. Rex could understand that she felt down about the whole thing, but it was also oddly off. He only felt anger about it now that he knew of it. "The Sepparatists are low, but this? Bombing the Jedi!? In the middle of the Republic? What have they ever done?.." Rex continued just as mad but calmed down more towards the end as he saw Ahsoka's face. "Are-..." He paused to breathe after yelling earlier, "Are you okay?"

"- We don't know if it was the Sepparatists," was the only thing Ahsoka uttered and started to break down where she sat. Rex felt pulled back by that statement. 'Don't know if it was the Sepparatists', who else would it be that could somehow get into the Temple? He thought, A-.... A Jedi? Was it a Jedi?