Chapter 17 - Running

For a moment she thought she heard Anakin's voice somewhere in the building but it could as well have been anyone else.

She had always hated being locked up. It was worse than anything. She needed to be able to control what she did and when. Most of the time she got by by meditating. But in this metal box she was in the only thing she could pick up was negativity. And her head hurt. Like in all militay bases she had visited the metal walls reflected every little sound hundereds of meters away in the corridors so her head was filled with people scraping the walls in their cells or troops passing through somewhere far away with either the order of release, imprisonmet of transport of someone.

She tried connecting to either Rex or Anakin, but she only started to freeze even worse than before when she used her energy on it.

It was as cold as in the matching cell where she had interrogated Letta, and Ahsoka thought just how ironic it was that she then almost laughed the girl in the face. In afterhand she almost felt bad for her. She had deserved a punishment but not death. At least not that way. Now Ahsoka was in the same situation herself, locked in a cell with other people deciding her destiny.

She would have been scared, maybe, had her master been Obi-Wan or someone else. But she knew Anakin would get her out in a heartbeat. As soon as he heard of it he would come and release her. And if they wouldn't he would make them. That thought maybe would have been frightening to some but Ahsoka knew Anakin Skywalker well enough to be sure he had his heart in the right place. She would be out in hours. She didn't doubt that for a second.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anakin lead Rex out of the temple while Obi-Wan went to meet up with the council before the funeral ceremony started. It would have been suspisious if a clone in civilian clothing was walking out of the temple that early alone, usually that hour was when they started coming there but as long as he was with his General he could get away with any excuse like a private meeting or simply the leaving of a report.

"Rex," Anakin started and Rex could hear he was being very serious, something that was rare when it came to him. "You're sure this thing with Ahsoka will last? You need to be able to work together no matter what happens. You're my best soldier Rex, and also my best friend. I would hate having to replace you." Rex let the words sink in for a few seconds. He had thought about it too, what would happen if one of them decided to call it quit, but at the same time he had usually imagined it happening by them getting caught. He couldn't imagine ever having their relationship end voluntarily and he doubted Ahsoka would either. He thought of a way to phrase his understanding of the situation.

"We are solid," he said after a while. "I don't think anything could break us apart exept for my death. ....But if it happens we were best friends long before it ever became something more than that, and even if I do love her as much more I could live with it being just that again." It was the most realistic thing he could come up with, he knew Ahsoka was way too good at what she was doing to die in a battle and he didn't imagine them ending any other way.

"Good. And no need to worry, I have your back on the battlefield. You can't escape Ahsoka that easy. I need to get going now, see you later." Anakin stopped and patted Rex on the shoulder.

"Yes Sir." Rex stood up in attention and saluted, but then went back to normal when Anakin smiled at him. He hadn't done it out of protocol, such things were more like suggestions with generals like his, but from respect and loyalty. Rex couldn't bring people gifts and he didn't know how to hold cheezy speaches about friendship so he turned to what he did know how to do.