Chapter 13 - Sabotage

"- Ahsoka, is there any particuar reason for why you're wet?" Anakin asked Ahsoka while they walked through the corridor towards the elevator up to the Council's chamber. The calm feeling in the temple was disrupted and faint crying could be heard from behind closed doors that they passed. Most likely younglings, they had probably been in the building during the explosion which must have been pretty scary. Ahsoka imagined how the bang would echo in the high-ceeling halls of stone and be heard throughout the whole temple.

"- Ehh, me and Rex sat up in the maintenance corridor by the window, you know," Ahsoka started her reply with and knew Anakin understood where she meant. It was there most people onboard the cruisers would go to clear their thoughts, and apparently Jesse liked sneaking his girls from 79s there, something they had catched him doing many times. "And then we saw that it rained so we kinda decided to go out for a while," she continued as they stopped by the elevator and Anakin gave her a glance. "What? It's not like you and Padme haven't done that at some point, and besides, have you been on the ship? The ventilation system has been struggling ever since we last left. I don't know what you did to it while I was on Onderon but incase you haven't noticed it's burning hot," she concluded and crossed her arms.

Anakin stod taken back by her statement, he had very well noticed the effects of the heat on his body and he could practically feel the small dripples of sweat left on his nose and cheeks but being who he was he hadn't really thought about it other than changing his tunic more often. Before now he had assumed that he was about to get sick and that was why he felt warm and that if it was something else Rex or someone would have told him, forgetting that the clones weren't the type to complain. And just like them Ahsoka either wasn't one to complain about heat due to her own upbringing.

"- Oh, yeah,.." It took him a few seconds to think about it before continuing. "Guess I'll have to get that looked up huh? Come on." The doors to the elevator had opened and he gestured for the two of them to enter.

The ride felt longer than it was due to their silence. It was wierd for them to not have anything to speak about but given the circumstances perhaps that should have been expected. Now that they neared the Council Chamber they were reminded of the reason for their bringing back from the field, making them feel pretty down.

When the elevator stopped and the doors opened they walked out and after making sure it was clear entered. The council briefed them about their mission and they headed off to the sight of the bombing. They were ordered to lead the investigation and find whoever it was that was behind it since no one else could be trusted. Agreeing on splitting up after meeting a droid assigned to help them Ahsoka and the droid Russo-ISC headed to the medbay and started talking to survivors and witnesses while Anakin stayed to continue looking over the place.

Going from worker to worker, or to be more exact, strecher to strecher, Ahsoka and Russo questioned each and every one of them, but didn't get any more of an answer than that everything had been normal aswell as questions about a Jedi's involment, to which they only could say that they didn't know. Ahsoka got more and more worried as the amount of workers distrusting the Jedi grew with everyone she talked to, and Russo's insensitive facts didn't help her. Most did thankfully seem comfortable with her and the atmosphere felt calm.

After a while they did however get their first lead from a seemingly Pantoran worker. Although he was a bit distant, probably a sign of him still being in some sort of shock, Ahsoka could sense he was genuine and as they left to follow it up she made sure to pat him on his shoulder and thank him. When they walked to the door, about to go talk to Anakin about it, he entered before them instead which lead to several of the harmed to move and Ahsoka to gain a new perspective over those who had seemed nice while speaking to her. It carried onto her speach and as she talked to Anakin her voice was a bit more agressive than she would have wanted.