SPECIAL CHAPTER 1: Academy

The second I set foot in the academy's dorm, I already felt that there's a void in me. It dawned unto me that I don't have a family that I can rely on while I stay here for the next four years.

Our gadgets aren't confiscated since classes didn't started yet, so I took the liberty on scrolling through social media. It was fine. No new shocking news. And figured out that it's just a waste of time so I had my things arranged first instead of browsing the internet.

Hours passed and my three other roommates came. I don't know how to talk to them. Kahit sila ay hindi rin nakikipag-usap sa isa't isa. The awkward tension is present. We're making eye contact to each other but no one seems to be ready for a conversation.

One cleared her throat and immediately glance to us one by one.

"Can I ask your names?" She strongly asked.

Thank God someone has the confidence to ask!

Ngumiti naman ako bago sumagot sa kanya. "I'm Zelea Neera Montreal, Zen nalang to make it short." I handed my right palm to shake.

She smiled at me as well while she handed her hand to shake mine. "I'm Ava Imperial."

My other two roommates went to us and introduced themselves as well. "Isla Carillo."

"Maeve Guevarra."

We all shaked hands and their surnames are kind of familiar though.

"Nice meeting all of you. I hope we'll get together harmoniously," I smiled once again.

"Thanks for that Zen," Isla replied.

"But... You're a Montreal, right?" Ava asked. Tumango naman ako agad.

"By any chance, kapatid mo ba ’yong abogado na nasa balita kanina?"

Anong balita? I don't know about that.

"Balita?" Ava nodded. "I have a sister na abogado, but I didn't know that she was on the news."

Maeve slowly pointed her index finger at me while she has this confused look while looking at me. "Atty. Leigh Montreal. I saw it on the news! You're her sister? You don't know what happened? She was almost shot dead at the airport an hour ago!"

What the hell?

Parang hindi ako makapaniwala sa sinabi niya. Anong almost shot dead? Sa airport? Pagkatapos niya ba akong ihatid?

"She doesn't know a thing. Besides, all the articles were deleted afterwards," Maeve added.

Just. . .what happened?!

"Go check your sister. Our gadgets aren't confiscated yet. You can still use it."

Wala na akong ibang ginawa kundi kunin ang cellphone ko at tinawagan si Ate. My hands are trembling. Pakiramdam ko rin na sobrang ginaw ng mga kamay ko. These things don't usually happen to me. Pero iba kasi basta pamilya ang pinag-uusapan.

The frustrating thing is: ang tagal sumagot. It took a lot of calls bago ito sinagot ni Ate.

"Yes, Zen. Napatawag ka?"