18. obliviate

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

          IN POTIONS CLASS THE NEXT DAY, while the students were working on brewing Dawdle Draught, Malia Avery spent her time sitting in silence and staring out the window

IN POTIONS CLASS THE NEXT DAY, while the students were working on brewing Dawdle Draught, Malia Avery spent her time sitting in silence and staring out the window. The girl was completely miserable, and it showed. Daphne Greengrass had even tried to comment on it, but it only resulted in the girl snapping at her, assuring her friend that she was fine.

     "Miss Avery, would you come up here for a moment?" Slughorn's voice called over the chatting students.

     From across the room, Jeremiah Prince's friendly smile soon changed back to the frown at the mention of Malia's name.

     "Oh, um, sure..." Malia nervously replied.

     Swallowing hard, the girl glanced down at the ground, then at the table ahead, trying her best to look anywhere but at Jeremiah.

     As Malia went to go talk to Slughorn, Daphne Greengrass continued to work on their potion. The next ingredient she needed was Valerian root, which were displayed in viles in the back corner of the classroom. Walking over to that location, Daphne grabbed each of the ingredients. As she proceeded to head back over to her table, she made a quick stop at Blaise, Draco, and Jeremiah's table.

Leaning over her shoulder, Daphne quietly whispered to the boys, "What the hell happened to Malia?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing," Blaise replied to the girl, shrugging. "Everything was fine with her yesterday, but this morning she wouldn't talk to anyone. Not even Jeremiah."

Sighing, Daphne then turned to Jeremiah directly, asking him, "Jer? Do you know anything about this?"

"It's none of your business, Daphne," Jeremiah shot back.

"Okay, woah, you don't have to be so snappy." Daphne replied, scoffing. "I was just trying to find out what's going on with my friend. I mean look at her, she looks ill."

     Jeremiah rolled his eyes, "Why should I care?"

     "Um, I don't know, maybe because she's your girlfriend?" Daphne replied, her eyes narrowing in confusion.

     Shaking his head, Jeremiah broke eye contact with the girl and muttered under his breath, "Not anymore. I broke up with her last night."

     Both Blaise and Daphne's eyes widened in shock at the news. As for Draco, the boy hung his head low and did his best to use his silence as a way to escape the conversation.

     "You...what?" Daphne choked out.

     "You must be joking, mate." Blaise spoke shortly after, managing to keep a smile on his face.

     "Oh, I assure you, I'm not."

     "You're serious?" Daphne asked the boy, her mouth hanging open. "But...I don't understand. You two were perfect for each other. Why did this happen?"