20. betrayal

CHAPTER TWENTY

     THE SLYTHERIN DUNGEON WAS MILDLY calm in the early morning hours, students moving in and out of the common room, meeting up with friends, heading to get breakfast

THE SLYTHERIN DUNGEON WAS MILDLY calm in the early morning hours, students moving in and out of the common room, meeting up with friends, heading to get breakfast. The party mess from the previous night was completely cleaned up, everything was back to the way it was. Chairs put back into place, tables wiped clean, any sign of even the smallest stain in the rug, gone. Pristine, sharp, spotless. As it should be. Perhaps one would observe from afar and say that it looked to be just like any other Saturday.

Except...it wasn't.

In the girls dormitory, Daphne Greengrass awoke to find herself completely alone. It was normal for Pansy and Millicent to already be at breakfast, for they were pretty early risers. But, when she noticed the empty bed next to her, Daphne furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Malia always stayed with Daphne. It was extremely unusual for her to be missing this early in the morning.

Rubbing her eyelids, the blonde sat upright and noticed that there was a note on her bedside table. Hesitantly picking it up, the girl unfolded the parchment and scanned her eyes over the words:

"Going on a walk around the Black Lake. Needed some fresh air. -M"

Sighing, Daphne placed the note back on the table beside her and stood, making her way to the closet so she could get dressed for breakfast. After she threw on a patterned skirt and a loose jumper, Daphne walked over to the mirror and began to lightly brush her hair. As she ran the comb through her hair, the girl couldn't help but glance once more at the reflection of Malia's empty bed.

"I'm sorry, Mal." Daphne sighed, shutting her eyes tightly, setting down the hairbrush, and exiting the girl's dormitory.

───────────────

Many hours had passed since Daphne left her room, and the early morning sun was now sinking in the late afternoon sky.

"Hey, has anyone spoken to Malia today?" Daphne asked as she advanced towards the left side of  the Great Hall where Blaise, Pansy, Theodore, and Draco were seated, "She said she was going out for a quick walk around the Black Lake, but she's not back yet and I haven't heard from her."

"She's probably still at the lake." Blaise answered, moving a chess piece. At that moment, him and Theo were deeply focused on a game of wizards chess.

"Thats what I thought," Daphne began, shaking her head. "But when I went to go check to see if she was there, I couldn't find her."

"Then she must be in the library or something." Theo shrugged, placing a reassuring hand on Daphne's shoulder. "C'mon, Daph, this is Malia were talking about. I'm sure she'll turn up eventually."