25. waking up

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

     IT TOOK MALIA FIVE DAYS to open her eyes

IT TOOK MALIA FIVE DAYS to open her eyes. Five days. The pain she had endured from the Cruciatus Curse had remained for a while, searing her skin and aching her bones. Each time she took a breath, she felt a sharp, stinging sensation in her lungs. It felt as if she were dying, but she wasn't. Physically, there were no scratch marks, no bruises, no outer injuries of any kind.

     They say that magic can be beautiful. But it can be deadly just the same.

     Scanning the room she was laying in, it took her a moment to recognize it's familiarity. The walls were fading in and out of focus, but their dark grey color was quickly identifiable. It was no secret that she was in one of the Malfoy's guest rooms.

     "Malia?"

     The girl flinched slightly at the sudden voice, taking her completely off guard.

     "You're awake." Draco Malfoy continued, his voice echoing throughout the quiet room. "How are you feeling?"

     Malia's eyes slowly moved over to the figure, blinking away her blurred vision. From the foot of the bed, Draco Malfoy was staring at her with concern filled in his gaze. It was clear that he had been with her for a while, for his eyes were dark and sunken from tiredness.

     "I...I..." Malia desperately tried to answer, but the dryness of her throat prevented her from it.

     Quickly noticing this, the boy practically commanded, "Drink this, now."

     There was a tall glass of water in his grasp, to which she did not hesitate to take and gulp down immediately. As the liquid travelled down her throat, she felt the dry pain begin to soothe itself. Within a mere moment, Malia was able to speak.

     "Thank you."

     "I'm glad you're awake," Draco admitted, setting down the empty glass. "I was getting a little worried."

     "Why?" asked Malia, furrowing her eyebrows. "How long was I out?"

     Sighing, Draco tiredly rubbed his fingers over his eyes and replied, "About five days."

     "Five days?" Malia repeated, her eyes shooting wide. "I could've sworn I was only out for a couple hours."

     "Time is strange in that way," Draco answered, reaching out and grasping onto her limp hand. "It's okay if you still feel a little pain-"

     "I'm fine," Malia sighed, doing her best to push herself up. "See?"

     "Woah, easy," Draco called, reaching out his arms and helping her up. "You're still healing and your body needs rest."

     "I think my body has rested enough," replied Malia, running a hand through her knotted hair. "I can't believe I was asleep for that long."

     "Well, there's a reason they call it the torture curse..." Draco trailed off, earning an eye roll from Malia.

     "There's that Malfoy sarcasm I was waiting for," Malia spoke, shaking her head. "Anything I missed while I was gone?"

     Nodding, Draco replied, "Actually, a lot has happened. I just received news this morning that we have successfully overthrown the Ministry of Magic. Corban Yaxley is now working  at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. We also have Snape as the Headmaster at Hogwarts, and the Carrows at working as professors."

     Taking a brief moment to absorb this information, Malia let out a ragged breath, "So the Dark Lord's plan is working."

     "Looks like it," Draco hummed, taking a deep breath before continuing. "We're hosting a meeting tonight for the Dark Lord and the other Death Eaters. My father said it was to discuss the recent reports and plan our next attack."

     "The meeting is tonight?" asked Malia.

     "Yes," Draco answered, his pale blue eyes meeting his. "Speaking of which, I should tell the others that you're awake."

     Nodding silently, Malia Avery watched as Draco  Malfoy stood from his seated position and made his way over to the bedroom door. After sparing one last glance at Malia, the blonde then exited, heading back downstairs to inform the others of her return.

     Looking back down at her silky black sheets, Malia found herself grow with worry. The Dark Lord's plan was unfolding much faster than she imagined. At this rate, within a matter of weeks, the entire wizarding world would be overthrown by the Death Eaters. Harry Potter would be dead. The Dark Lord would rule again.

     The war was coming. There was no stopping it.