11. leaving for the holiday

CHAPTER ELEVEN

     THERE WAS A SENSE OF excitement that buzzed around the campus on the last day before Christmas break

     THERE WAS A SENSE OF excitement that buzzed around the campus on the last day before Christmas break. During the holiday season, the hallways seemed to be infused with scent of freshly baked cookies, heavily decorated with large fairy lights that trailed all the way to the large Christmas tree that stood in the center of the Great Hall.

     "So, what are you doing for Christmas, Malia?" Jeremiah asked her when she met him in the corridor after Charms, their last class of the day.

     "I think I'm staying here." She answered, holding her books tightly to her chest. "How about you?"

     The boy let out an involuntary sigh.

     "What's wrong?" Malia looked at him, confused.

     "Nothing...I was just expecting you to finally come to spend the holiday with me." Jeremiah explained, scratching the back of his head. "It'd be nice to have you there. Besides, I'm sure my parents would love to see you again."

     Malia's eyes softened, "Oh."

     "Listen, I'm not forcing you to come or anything..." Jeremiah continued, nervously laughing. "I'm just saying that I think it'd be a good idea."

     "It is, Jer." Malia answered, smiling and stepping closer to the boy. "I just don't think this is a good time. With everything going on with my parents-"

     "Your parents?" Jeremiah asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "What happened to your parents?"

     "Oh!" Malia's eyes widened, she shouldn't have said that. "Um...they're just...going through a rough patch right now."

     A complete lie, but a valid excuse that would distract the boy from asking any more questions.

     Jeremiah's mouth fell agape, "Oh, Malia, I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

     "It's okay, Jer."

     "I guess this may be a bad time, but I stopped by the Owlrey earlier today and noticed a letter addressed to you." Jeremiah began, reaching for his bag and pulling out an envelope. "I made sure to grab it so I could give it to you. Here."

     "Thank you." The girl spoke, examining it and lifted an eyebrow. "Who's it from?"

     "I dunno," the boy shrugged.

     Looking back up at him, Malia smiled, "Well, thank you again."

     "No problem." Jeremiah beamed. "I'm going to head down to the Great Hall now, are you coming?"

     "I'll meet you there." She answered, looking back down at the envelope in her hand. "I want to go read this and see who it's from."

     "Alright, I'll see you there." Jeremiah spoke, leaning down and kissing her cheek softly.