09. you can count on me

CHAPTER NINE

     ON A COLD SUNDAY MORNING, Daphne Greengrass, Malia Avery, and Pansy Parkinson — who had tagged along with Daphne — met at the Quidditch pitch to watch a Slytherin team practice

     ON A COLD SUNDAY MORNING, Daphne Greengrass, Malia Avery, and Pansy Parkinson — who had tagged along with Daphne — met at the Quidditch pitch to watch a Slytherin team practice. As the three girls sat in the stands, they watched the boys teach the new Quidditch members a few tricks on the broom.

     It had truly felt like ages since Malia was able to relax and hang out with her friends. With everything goin on, it was nice to be able to pretend that life was normal again.

"Why is it so bloody cold?" Malia asked, shivering as she sunk further into her winter coat. "It's not even a match, so we don't really have to be here freezing to death just to watch a practice."

Pansy nodded, "I agree with Malia, I feel like my fingers are going numb."

"It's still nice to be supportive once in a while." Daphne spoke, her breath quickly coming out in foggy clouds. "We don't have to stay much longer, just a few more minutes."

"I still can't believe that Jeremiah got cleared to play," Pansy exclaimed, gazing down at the brunette boy as he made his way onto the field.

Daphne nodded, "It was surprising how fast he recovered from his accident."

Malia shrugged, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear as she replied, "I know how much that boy loves Quidditch. There's no way he'd give it up over a small injury."

"Small?" Daphne asked, raising her voice as she lifted her eyebrows. "You call two months in the hospital with a concussion and broken ribcage small?"

"No, Daph, you know thats not what I meant-"

Daphne Greengrass only rolled her eyes, "Yeah, Malia, I know what you meant."

Malia's brain froze for a moment, trying to take in what her friend had just said while staring into her bright blue eyes with a confused expression.

"What's up with you, Daph?" Malia asked her friend, surprised by her sudden anger.

"I'm just saying, its really bold of you to talk about Jeremiah's injury when we both know barely even visited him." Daphne harshly continued. "He's your boyfriend, yet I was the only one who checked up on him."

"You know I've been busy!" Malia defended.

"Busy doing what, exactly?" Daphne shot back. "Hanging out with Malfoy? Because you sure have been doing that a lot lately."

"What's the deal with the two of you, anyway?" Pansy chimed in.

Malia scoffed, turning to the girl "There's no deal with us."

Daphne rolled their eyes, "Sure."

"Honestly, Malia, if I didn't know better, I'd have thought you fancied Malfoy." Pansy spoke through gritted teeth. "Especially with how much time you're spending hovered around him."