01. borgin and burkes

CHAPTER ONE

Borgin and Burkes, Knockturn AlleyAugust, 1996

August, 1996

IN THE LATE SUMMER before their sixth year, Malia Avery and Draco Malfoy knew that everything was about to change for them. As the two walked side by side through the cobbled streets of Knockturn Alley, a hint of nervousness began to creep inside them.

Just like Draco, Malia was involved with the Dark Lord under her father's influence. Ever since they were born, their parents had trained the two into becoming followers of the Dark Lord. Of course, their mothers, Lorena Avery and Narcissa Malfoy, were not as comfortable with this early decision. But, as Death Eaters themselves, they stayed quiet and obliged.

"Are you scared?" Malia whispered to the boy beside her, her eyes fixated on the building they were approaching.

"No..." Draco trailed off, his deep voice slightly echoing. "There's nothing to be scared of. We've always known this day would come."

"Right." The girl spoke, her jaw clenching as she neared the door.

"Hey," Draco spoke, stopping just before the entrance and turning to face the girl. "We'll get through this. I promise."

Malia nodded in response, afraid that if she spoke her voice would shake and give away her nerves.

After taking a quick glance over her right shoulder and one more on her left to make sure no one was following them, Malia stepped out of the dark alleyway and followed behind Draco into Borgin and Burkes.

Inside, four figures stood circled around an old, black cauldron. In whole, the group consisted of Lorena Avery, Narsissa Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, and Fenrir Greyback.

Making their way to the centre of the circle, Malia and Draco remained silent.

"Do you understand what you have to do?" Lorena Avery spoke softly to Draco and her daughter, a hint of sympathy in her tone.

"Yes, mother." Malia replied, her features emotionless.

"Remember, only those worthy of the Dark Lord are blessed with this mark," Bellatrix Lestrange spoke, sharpening her gaze on the two. "Consider it your greatest honor."

Nodding once, the two simultaneously extended their left arms over the cauldron. Almost instantly, the cauldron exploded with light, transporting them from Borgin and Burkes to Malfoy Manor.