10. slughorn's christmas party

CHAPTER TEN

     ON MONDAY NIGHT AFTER HER CLASSES, Malia Avery went back to her dorm to start getting dressed for Slughorn's Christmas party

     ON MONDAY NIGHT AFTER HER CLASSES, Malia Avery went back to her dorm to start getting dressed for Slughorn's Christmas party. After a quick shower, she made her way over to her closet and began to look through her dresses. It only took her a few minutes, and she eventually chose a strapless black dress that went down to her ankles, matching it with a pair of short black heels. The dress was a bit reveling, but it would distract people from the gloves she was going to wear to cover the noticeable mark on her left arm.

     After she finished getting ready, the girl descended the staircase from her dormatory to The Common Room. To her dismay, the large area was buzzing with activity as Malia stepped off the stairs. First and second years gathered in one corner playing Wizards Chess, fourth years gossiped loudly by the window, and some older students sat grouped up by the fire, Pansy and Daphne being a part of them.

"Well, well, well, look who we have here." Pansy Parkinson teased, watching as Malia walked up to them, her heels clicking on the stone floor beneath her.

"Spending the night in are we, girls?" Malia replied, raising her eyebrow. "Again?"

Daphne Greengrass rolled her eyes, "Not all of us are as privileged as you are, Malia."

"Please, you could've gone with Blaise." Malia replied. "Who'd he end up taking anyway?"

"Some seventh year Ravenclaw, I don't know her name." Daphne answered, rolling her eyes. "But that's beside the point."

  Sitting next to the blonde, Pansy scoffed, "Look, Daph, she's got an audience."

Turning around to see where the girls were looking, Malia Avery noticed a group of young fourth year boys staring in her direction, mouths open wide as they drooled over her.

"How cute," Malia let out a light laugh, turning back to the girls, "I should probably get going."

"Funny, we were thinking the exact same thing." Pansy Parkinson spoke harshly. "Have fun tonight, princess."

Smirking, Malia replied, "Oh, I will."

───────────────

Once she entered the party, Malia took in the dazzling sight before her. The ceiling and walls of Slughorn's office had been draped with an array of multicolored decorations. With lights dangling above them, the students spread around the area either sitting on large couches or standing around tall tables.

Although there was a part of her that wanted to go introduce herself to others, she wanted nothing more than to find Jeremiah. Malia glanced around at everyone and their dates, doing her best to find a tall brown haired boy in the crowd.