My Captor, My Savior, My Princess

PART 3 

Love is a sudden revelation, a kiss is always a discovery.

"There is one question you have yet to ask me." Capricorn told me, as we ate dinner later the next night. 

"What's that?" 

"Why he did all this. Grabenstein. Why you. Why your father." She said, simply. 

It was important to me to know, but at the same time, it didn't change the fact that Grabenstein was responsible for my father's death by getting him involved in whatever it was. He was still going to pay. 

"Okay, then I'll ask now." I humored her, since it seemed that she wanted to tell me. 

She eyed me curiously. "You look like you don't even truly care." 

I shrugged. "It doesn't change what happened." 

"So you don't even want to know, then?" She raised her brow. 

It was comparable to a friend wanting to tell you a story that you didn't seem interested in. 

"Sure I do. It'd be nice to know. But if you're trying to dissuade me from getting revenge it won't work. My dad is still dead." 

She nodded slowly. "I don't intend to try to dissuade you. I was just surprised you haven't asked yet, especially since it was all you wanted to know when I was holding you prisoner there." 

"That was before my father got shot. After that, it didn't seem as important anymore." My vision became watery, and tears started to drip down my face. It was an automatic reaction to talking about my dad. For some reason, I felt incredibly angry right now. It was like a switch that just turned on. 

"Okay, then I won't talk about it." She concluded. She put her napkin on her plate, making to get up from the table. 

"No. Tell me then, damnit!" I pounded my fist on the table. "You brought it up, you mentioned it. Just say it." 

"Selena, I didn't mean to remind you, I'm sorry... I was just trying to make conversation." 

I closed my eyes tight, forcing more tears to come out. "Just...say it. You already opened it up." 

And then visions of watching him get shot invaded my mind. I had been doing well with not thinking about it, focusing on training. 

"It doesn't seem right, now. Because it involves... your father. I'm heartless, I didn't even think that it would dig up feelings of-" 

"Just fucking say it, then! It doesn't matter either way does it?! He's not coming back whether you talk about him or not!" 

I was angry at her right now for bringing this up so casually. Why did she have to remind me? Why would anyone think this soon after losing someone you can just bring them up in dinner conversation? 

Well, if anyone wouldn't think anything of it, it'd be a trained killer like her. 

She sighed. "Grabenstein used to work for your father. So did I." 

What?! 

I stared at her. "How come I never knew about you then?" 

She gave me a somber look. She was trying to tread lightly, I could tell. I didn't appreciate it. 

"You know how big your father's company was, Selena... does it really surprise you you never knew about us specifically?" 

I shook my head. "Whatever. Continue..."