First Impressions

Revenge awakens parts of someone that you might never have thought existed.

She slept soundly in my arms, in much the same way a scared child sleeps with their parents during a thunderstorm. If I tried to pull her off, she clung to me, if I tried to move the position of her arms, she complained with halfhearted groans in her sleep. It's not that I can't sleep in the same bed with someone, but this was just odd to me, her sudden attachment had grown twofold since we came to Rev's house. 

I didn't even know what this was, anymore. I doubt she understood the magnitude of what she was asking me, or that if I did agree to it that I wouldn't go easy on her just because she'd asked. Turning an average person into a weapon was not a simple process, it wasn't like a summer camp where you graduate and get a certificate saying you made it. It was a lifelong thing, and it changed you forever once you started into it. 

For these reasons, I thought as I looked at her sleeping, I didn't think I was going to honor her request. She'd said she'd been thinking about it this whole time, but I highly doubted that she'd thought about it to the actual extent of it. 

She was such an innocent girl - aside from the horrors she'd been through at the hands of Grabenstein... and me... - and I didn't want this type of life for her. There were SO many other opportunities out there for her, why was she so adamant about this one? She said it was because I was all she had. That may be true at the current time, but I could help her into so many other paths besides this one. Just because I took care of her didn't mean she HAD to follow in my exact footsteps. 

I told her she should sleep on it, so I'd ask her about it again in the morning and see if her resolve was still as strong. And then, if she was still gung-ho about this idea, I'd test her resolve. You can only prove so much with words, sooner or later you have to show it through action.

-

The next morning - or rather, the same morning that I hadn't really ever gone to sleep - I woke up and cooked us breakfast. It was about 9am, I didn't expect her to wake up when I did, and I wouldn't even be surprised if she didn't wake up at all today, after what she went through yesterday. 

But she did, and she came upstairs yawning. 

"That smells good..." She said, walking into the kitchen from the secret passage to the basement. 

"Oh you're up? I didn't expect you to wake up for a while. It might be a bit before it's ready." I told her. 

"That's fine, we can just talk then!" She said, excitedly. 

"Talk about what?" I acknowledged her, flipping some pancakes over in the frying pan. 

Of course I had a strong suspicion of what was coming. 

"Umm... what I asked you about last night?" 

Whoop, there it is. 

I remained busy while I talked to her. "And what about that?" 

I saw out of my peripheral vision that she took a seat by the bar. 

"Well... did you think about it?" 

The reality of that question... I only spent the whole night tossing and turning over it. At one point or the other, I made those 'half asleep' decisions that seemed like such a good idea at the time, then when you wake up you realize how crazy you were for thinking it. 

"How about I finish making breakfast first?" I asked, wanting to put this conversation off. 

"Okay..."