9

Slytherin played Ravenclaw a week after term started back up and although it was a tight game, the serpents managed to win with a tiny margin.

That meant that Ravenclaw had to beat Gryffindor in the next match to have any hopes of not coming last.

"Did you hear?" Roger asks as he sits down by Stevie in Charms - the game was just a week away and the young man was starting to look like Professor Lupin - ill.

"Hear what?" she asks, pulling her stuff from her bag.

"Potter got a Firebolt for Christmas."

"A Firebolt?" Ribh asks in awe, "That's it then. We're done for."

"Don't listen to her, Rog," Stevie pats his arm, "Cho's a great Seeker. What does she fly again?"

"A Comet 260," he replies glumly.

"Yep. Done for."

"You are really not helping!"

Ribh holds her hands up, "I'm just stating facts! Everyone knows that the Firebolt is the best broom going right now."

"Hear did you?" Roger groans as Angelina Johnson slides onto the bench behind them.

"Of course I have."

Stevie turns so she can speak to her, "Who sent it?"

"No one knows?" she shrugs.

"Isn't that a little dangerous?" Stevie frowns, "I mean, Sirius Black is after him, isn't he?"

"How do you know that?"

She looks at the end of the bench, where Fred and George are waiting patiently for Angelina to move up so they can sit.

"Everyone knows that," Roger says, "That's why he tried to get into Gryffindor common room? To get Harry." he sighs, "I was hoping that Flitwick might have had to hold on to it until after the game."

"Why did he have it?"

"It seemed that Granger had the same thought as you, Stevie," Fred says, leaning over to ruffle her hair, "That it could have been anyone who had sent it...I think she thinks it was Black so she told McGonagall and she said that Professor Flitwick would strip it and check for curses."

All for Quidditch players looked pained at the thought of such an exquisite broom having to go through that sort of treatment.

"But," George claps his hands, "He got it back last night and well, y'know."

"Yeah," Fred nods as Angelina laughs, "Might not be any point in you lot coming down."

Stevie shakes her head, "Ignore them, Rog. We all know that catching the Snitch isn't everything."

"But it does help," Angelina begins.

"A lot." George finishes.

~~|~~

Stevie didn't really get to speak to the twins again that day until well after dinner.

She and Ribh were having a game of Wizard's Chess up in the common room before they started their homework when the first year that she'd spent the holidays with (Lucas) came through the door and informed her that one of them was outside asking for her.

Sharing a confused look with both Ribh and Roger, she gets up, thanking Lucas as she heads for the door. It's Fred and he's stood peering out of the closest window, turning on his heel when he hears the heavy door close behind her.

"Hi," he replies, "Sorry to disturb your evening."

"That's alright. I'm just playing chess with Ribh. What's up?"