2

They're a little over halfway into their journey when the door to their compartment slides open. Ribh had gone to do her prefect duties and thinking that it's her returning, neither Stevie nor Kaye bother looking up from their books.

"Excuse us, ladies," it's Fred and George Weasley, standing there with matching grins, "You haven't happened to see a rat have you? It's our brother's."

"No, sorry. But if a rat had ventured in here, I don't think it would really have much of a chance."

The four of them look to where Benatar is stretched out in Ribh's empty spot, watching them with lazy eyes.

"Ah yes," one of them smirk, "Looks like a real ferocious beast that one."

"Best be careful, Weasley," Kaye says as she looks up from the book, "She could rip your throat out in a second."

"Kaye!" they both cheer, sitting themselves down next to their fellow Gryffindor, "Didn't realise that was you. You alright?"

"Have a good summer?"

"It's was alright, yeah," she shrugs, "How about you? Did your mum make you degnome the garden again?"

"We actually went on holiday this year," the one on her right grins - that's something that Stevie's noticed about them. No matter where they were, they were always smiling, "Went to Egypt."

"Really?" Kaye puts her book down, "That must have been so interesting! What did you do? Did you go see the Pyramids?"

Stevie looks up from her lap when she feels the other twin's gaze on her, shifting uncomfortably under his intense gaze, "Hi?"

"You're Stevie Nicholson," he says, surprising her, "You're in Ravenclaw."

Her eyebrows raise. She didn't think that either of them would really know her name - she was just the quiet Ravenclaw who spent most of her free time in the library or down in the kitchens baking with the house-elves.

Realising that he was still staring at her, she nods, "That's me."

Before he can say anything else, the twin on Kaye's other side spoke up, "Fred, we better search the rest of the train. Scabbers could be anywhere and you know mum won't be happy if he's gone."

Fred nods, "Well, it was nice seeing you, Kaye. We'll see you at school."

The pair of them stand but before they can head to the door, the train brakes screech loudly.

Stevie covers her head as the luggage in the overhead compartment comes flying out, Kaye manages to avoid being hit by her satchel and George stumbles into the door. Fred isn't so lucky; he falls onto Benatar and Stevie winces when she hears the familiar hiss and Fred swear loudly.

When the train finally lurches to a stop, she's sent flying onto the floor, where she lands on the corner of her bag and she just manages to move her legs before George joins her.

"Ow," Fred groans while his brother helps Stevie up from the floor.

"Is everyone alright?" she asks, rubbing the bottom of her back, "Kaye?"

Her friend sits up, "I've lost my glasses."

"Here they are," George picks them up, "Freddie, you alright?"

"No," he snaps, "No, I am not."

"What the hell is going on?" George asks, "We can't be there already."

Both Stevie and Fred look up when the lights flicker for a couple of seconds before shutting off completely.

"That's definitely not normal."

"Maybe we've broken down." Kaye says quietly.

They all look towards the window when there's a cracking noise, seeing that the glass is starting to frost over and it's then that Stevie realises how cold it's suddenly gotten.

"I'm going to go talk to the driver," George frowns, stepping over the mess that littered the floor but before he can touch the handle, the train lurches violently to the side, as if it was going to tip and they all fall back against the windows.

"Kaye, please tell me that it's you I've landed on,"

"It's me," one of the twins grunt and she quickly scrambles up to her feet again, face turning as red as his hair.

"I'm sorry. Are you-"

"Shh," he whispers, "George, d'you hear that?"

She couldn't hear anything but she did realise that it was growing ever colder in the compartment.

The pair jump back when the door slides open, seeing a very familiar blonde boy push his way inside before sliding the door closed again with a bang.

Malfoy was breathing heavily and the twins edged closer to the door once more to see if they could see anything.

Just then, a dark figure floated by the windows and though no one could really see because of the frosted glass, Stevie was guessing that they were wearing some sort of cloak.

"What is that?" Kaye whispers, huddling close to her as the door starts opening by itself.

Benatar starts hissing as the figure peers into the compartment, looking at each of them individually from under its hood before backing out slowly.

"Everyone alright?" Fred asks, voice significantly quieter and Stevie has to pry Kaye's hand from her arm. She knew exactly what that was.

"I think so," the lights flicker back on and it's only then that she sees the three cuts on his face that had been inflicted by her cat's claws.

"Oh, Merlin," she says quietly, "I am so sorry."

"What was that?" Kaye asks again, her voice shaking this time and Stevie is quick to wrap her arm around her shoulders again.

"Looked like a Dementor." Fred frowns.

"Looking for Sirius Black." Stevie nods.

"What? Who's Sirius Black?"

Kaye was Muggle-born and didn't get the Daily Prophet every morning so she could be forgiven for not knowing who he was.

"He's a murderer," George says casually, as if he's just said what he was having for his dinner, "He killed twelve muggles and his best friend. Got locked up in Azkaban for life."

"Dementors are what guard the prison," Stevie explains, "They feed on human happiness, generate feelings of depressions and despair in any person in close proximity to them..."

"Is that why I felt like I wouldn't be happy again?"

"Probably," Fred nods, patting her lightly on the shoulder, "But it's gone now. Dunno why they'd think that Black would be on board. I doubt if he's that stupid."

"How did he escape?" Kaye asks, looking rather pale.

"No one knows," Stevie shrugs, "I don't think anyone has ever done it before. Have they?"

She'd directed her question to the twins, who shake their heads.

"Not that we've heard."

It's then that they remember that a certain Slytherin boy had made his way into the compartment - he was saw wedged in the corner with his hands over his eyes.

Fred snickers, stopping when Kaye elbows him and Stevie steps forward to rest a hand on his shoulder, "Draco? Are you alright?"

He stands quickly, shrugging her hand from his shoulder, "Don't touch me."

With that, he takes his leave and Kaye grimaces, "Charming."

~~|~~

i thought i'd update again tonight just to get this story started. the next one will *hopefully* be Sunday! xx