// nine //

•Moondust•

••••••

••••••

T H E N E X T D A Y Laila managed to avoid Guzman. It wasn't easy but the blond seemed busy dealing with Christian then Polo, then Ander from what Laila could see. She didn't want to be prying, especially not after he forced her to work with him, but Laila was right - she began to think about Guzman a little too much for her liking.

Even worse, because every time she'd think about him, her burning hatred would double, finding more aspects she despised about him. He had texted her only once after their unfortunate encounter, giving the time they'd meet at his house, which she could only dread to come. Laila hoped they wouldn't be alone in the house, she wished Guzman wouldn't bring his girlfriend, but when she thought about it again they already had been alone twice and he hadn't attempted anything terrible.

Laila wondered whether Guzman was all talk and no action, but from what she had caught him doing to Nadia, Laila knew he was finally putting his and Lu's disgusting plans in full swing.

Nevertheless, Laila tried not to focus on Guzman Nunier too much, rather concentrating on her work since she still came to the stables, trying not to do any heavy lifting. Laila knew her coworkers were becoming suspicious, because she never before refused to do something usually guys did. Some were a little annoyed she only took care of brushing the horses' hairs, but even if Laila did feel bad she was leaving the hard work for others, she couldn't tell them, knowing they'd only send her home.

So, gritting her teeth, Laila continued to work, needing money now more than ever since her dad told her they were cutting his salary. Laila felt annoyed Frederick wouldn't fight for his wage, his job, but then again if he couldn't fight for her, she didn't expect him to think of his work differently.

Laila brushed a horse's named Tango hairs, smiling at the calm animal, who continued to turn his muzzle at her as if ready for Laila to kiss him. "Calm down, Tango, you beautiful thing," she chuckled as she stroked the horse gently, smiling at how gracious and young the horse was.

Laila was too preoccupied with Tango's attempts to kiss or lick her to notice that Carlos had approached their stall, smiling at Laila's bright face. The guy didn't say a word, observing a girl he had liked for quite some time, but she was clueless or at least acted like it. Carlos knew he had Las Encinas pricks to blame, they ruined her self esteem, because to Carlos, she was beautiful and brave, unafraid of work and hard life. The guy wished she'd see herself as he did someday. "Hey," he eventually mused, surprising Laila, who snapped her head up as if caught doing something bad.

"You scared me!" Laila smiled at her friend, noticing how widely he grinned at her. Carlos rested his arms on the fence, smiling at Tango, who continued to turn his head towards Laila. "He likes me."