// twenty-eight //

•Soul-Bound•

••••••

••••••

T H E  R A I N  O U T S I D E  pounded on the windows without mercy and yet such a cruel act brought Laila nothing but ease to her nervous mind. She stared at the white ceiling of her flat, following the line of cracks until her eyes couldn't roll back anymore. Laila exhaled then shortly and closed her eyes, feeling rather comfortable on the couch she barely ever sat on, enjoying the sound the rain was creating.

Her mind had been plagued by what had happened. Sure, it sucked to see Nadia be dragged out by her father, more so Yusef yelling at her, but not even such a thing surpassed the memory of Guzman or the way he jumped to defend her.

Even now, as she sat at the comfort of her soon to be abandoned home, Laila felt shivers go down her spine as if Guzman was sitting next to her. Every time she'd think about him, she'd feel scared to open her eyes, imagining that somehow a guy she loathed not even half a year ago would have managed to sneak in. As if he'd know she would be thinking about him.

If before Guzman managed to overwhelm only her darkest thoughts, right now he was taking over all of her brain capacity, and despite trying to distract herself, Laila would only see him, think of him, or even hear his voice.

It felt debilitating, but nothing could erase the moment Laila's whole perception of Guzman had changed. The way he yelled at Yusef, the way he followed after her or stared at her - every single thing he had done drove Laila insane and she couldn't stop her heart from hammering against her ribcage. Laila couldn't forget Guzman or the way he had changed, but what was worse is that she couldn't forget the moment she wanted to run up to him and tell him to make her stay.

Of course, Laila didn't do it. She had her own pride, and even if Guzman had defended her when she didn't need him to, he had made himself clear. Laila waited for him to approach her, she craved for him to beg and tell her that he hadn't meant those words, but it was just that - a craving and Laila couldn't allow herself to buy it.

Frederick had to get better so Laila had to move, because Jada wouldn't leave her here alone. Laila didn't even know if she wanted to stay, especially because of Guzman.

It was him again, everything for some reason settled with the blond Nunier, who had turned from an enemy to her comfort person in a snap of a finger.

Laila hated it, but it also felt like their rivalry had finally come to an end. It was sad how she didn't win, but Laila knew that neither did Guzman. He was changing, but so was she. It had been a good run, but soon it would be only a memory. The only thing Laila did know was that it had changed their relationship from nonexistent to something similar to soul bounded.

The pang of rain continued to hit the windows of Laila's flat, creating a silent storm outside as she continued to sit in her dimply lit living room, wishing for a TV or anything to distract herself, but she had nothing to entertain herself with to a point she wished for Jada's company. However, the woman was busy in Frederick's room, talking to work people.