// twenty-two //

•A Mess We're In•

••••••

••••••

T W O Y E A R S A G O:

A S L A I L A S T O O D I N F R O N T O F A M I R R O R she couldn't help but feel the nerves rob her off of her calmness. It was a special day, more so Friday, but she had a presentation in school for a history lesson. Only the best students had the chance to present it for the highest grade and Laila happened to become one of them.

Her public school, one where she wasn't very liked but had good grades, had a weird system, but Laila had heard that other private schools had even worse grading systems. Not that she wasn't happy to get a chance to be the best. When the teacher announced that Laila would be one of the presenters, she felt happy and proud of herself. But when the day finally came Laila felt like many things could go extremely wrong.

However, she had confidence in her that she'd do okay. If not, it was Friday, which meant Cake Day. Her mother was very keen about eating sugary foods on a daily basis so their household was usually healthy, except for Fridays, when they would get a dose of sugar for the whole upcoming week.

Laila continued to rehearse her speech in front of a bathroom mirror until a knock echoed from behind the closed doors. "You're not living alone, Laila," Frederick called after playfully so Laila sighed, looked at her hair one last time before she opened the door to see her father's wide grin. "Hey, kiddo. Rehearsing for the presentation?"

When Laila nodded sheepishly, her dad, who always managed to calm her down, patted her head, which caused Laila to groan. The two switched places as Frederick faced Laila again, having something to say before closing the door. "I still don't understand why they wouldn't let parents to come and see. I wish to film my baby girl in her best," he complained but Laila, who felt glad parents didn't have to come, only shrugged innocently and began to head backwards. Her dad, who pursed his lips at her lack of knowledge, eventually closed the bathroom door and left Laila to stand by herself.

Being left alone, Laila instantly began to rehearse again, walking from one side to another. When she forgot what came next a frustrated sigh escaped her mouth so she threw her head up at the ceiling as if the words were written there. She tried so hard to remember not to overhear the door of her parents' bedroom close. "Damn it, what is it?!" Laila mused to herself, grabbing a sheet of paper she had pocketed.

"I think you'll forget everything the more you go through it," a silky voice spoke up, which surprised Laila so she glanced up to see Victoria standing a few feet away from her, smiling gently. Laila exhaled when she met her mother's brown eyes. It always brought her peace whenever Victoria would look at her with that loving look.