// twenty-six //

•Warning Sign•

••••••

••••••

F R E D E R I C K H A D N O T H I N G B U T L U C K. He was alive, only with a minor concussion, but had to stay in the hospital for a few more days. However, even if his injury proved to be not life-threatening, it looked like the hit to the head had taken more soul out of Frederick.

He wouldn't talk, he wouldn't converse with anyone, even Jada, who remained with them, much to Laila's dismay. Laila tried to feel positive, after all, her dad was still alive, but the memory of the night, which had happened merely two days before, was still fresh with panic and the realization that life was short. That someday her dad would die.

Laila was scared, angry life was like this, but most importantly, she was feeling guilty. If not her need to stay with her dad, maybe Frederick wouldn't have gotten to this point. Carlos had been right, and if Laila was in denial to take those words in before, now she knew he was absolutely right and it killed her.

She had been too consumed with herself and her benefit in having a father to see that Frederick was becoming, on the contrary to the idea that time healed wounds, progressively worse. Even if he didn't die, he could've and the mere thought that Laila could've been responsible for doing nothing made her feel ten times worse.

Unbeknownst to Laila, Jada could see it on the girl's face. The need to blame herself. Jada didn't know a lot about her niece, just that she looked a lot like Victoria. And the resemblance made Jada feel just as guilty as her niece was.

It was a coincidence Jada was in town when this happened, but the more the woman thought about it, the more grateful she felt. Even if it was wrong to thank the fate for making Frederick hurt himself, if not this, Jada wouldn't have gotten the courage to come and face who was her estranged sister's daughter, a lonely girl with an alcoholic father.

Jada didn't want to reason her wrongdoings with a fact that she didn't know Frederick had spiraled this much, but it was the truth. She thought Frederick loved his daughter, because she was the only thing left of Victoria, but on the other thought, Jada didn't know the man very well. She had been fighting with Victoria even before they married each other, but from the small amount of times they did talk, Jada knew Frederick was beyond in love with Victoria.

Jada remembered being jealous of that. Even if she had her own husband then, blessed was his soul, the man didn't love her as much as Frederick loved Victoria. Jada knew she should've realized her passing would make Frederick numb to even his daughter, but her own sorrow was too big to care for Laila. Jada knew she'd blame herself for this for the rest of her life, but at least she had now. She could fix things now and become someone in Laila's life, if the girl would want that.