// nineteen //

•Running Scared•

••••••

••••••

A  F E W  D A Y S  P A S S E D  and even if Laila's pain slowly deteriorated, the wound that Frederick had caused in her heart was still there. It still lingered like the worst possible fire, burning at Laila whenever she'd notice her dad, who instead of apologizing, was ignoring her. Laila hadn't expected much more, it was her dad's signature move after doing something wrong. And with all the drinking, Laila would've rather him done that than apologize when she knew that he didn't really mean it.

Laila didn't even know whether her father remembered at all, but given the circumstances of the broken TV and Laila's bandaged hand he had to get some clues.

Laila didn't talk to him, it simply hurt too much so she shielded herself with a mask of denial and continued to move on, still not talking to Nadia, or rather it was the opposite. Everyone noticed the once two good friends keep their distance but Laila was becoming restless. Neither was Carlos talking to her and Laila knew why. Even if a lone wolf, Laila still needed support in her life and wondered what she had to do to make these two people forgive her. Not that she had to ask for Carlos' forgiveness but she knew that he was just looking out for her. Nadia, too.

However, Laila hadn't done anything to make them at least talk to her. Nadia was unbreakable in school and Carlos kept his distance at work.

The only one Laila could talk to was Guzman, but he was the last person she wanted to open up to. Ever since she agreed to his proposition, the male had been pestering her to meet him, but Laila managed to dodge him thrice already. Something told her, however, that it would be the last time.

Laila walked through the Las Encinas property, sunbathing in the sun as she crossed the bridge to get to school. It was hot and beautiful, just like she liked so Laila walked slowly, her face turned towards the sun. The light jumped on her face, digging deep into her natural skin. For a moment, as Laila walked on that bridge, she stopped hurting. If it was the sun's affect, Laila loved it, because the warmth continued to erase all the negativity in her. As she continued to stroll her body felt easier and less burdened, causing Laila to finally smile. She continued to walk, her eyes closed even if she could've easily bumped into people.

Laila didn't care about that, not rushing if someone would take her for an idiot. Guzman saw everything from his place. He didn't mean to stop and look around, he didn't even know that it would make him see Laila, but when he did stop and see her, Guzman couldn't look away. It was damning, but he continued to stand on the stairs, watching Laila smile as she continued to walk with her eyes closed. Her smile was genuine, something he had yet to see for himself, and Guzman felt like joining her. Hell, it was his birthday and he was supposed to be happy, but waking up with a feeling that he was getting older and, worse, without someone to help him overcome his feelings felt saddening.