// four //

•A Bystander•

••••••

••••••

A F T E R  S C H O O L  Laila could only imagine what it felt to rest. Las Encinas was draining enough as it was, but her small apartment which she shared with her father was a job of its own.

Laila hated going home, hence why she often stayed in school after lessons or took extra two hours at the stables, where she worked just so she wouldn't have to face her dad, who was still acting like Victoria had died a day ago. Whenever Laila would come home, she'd either see Frederick sleeping on the couch or, worse, blabbering drunken things, which often hurt the young female.

Laila couldn't blame him, however, Victoria was the love of his life and she died such a gruesome death. They couldn't even show her face at the funeral, because there was barely anything left of it.

The fact that he took the bribe which was Laila's scholarship was still a mystery to Laila, but he still chose it, allowing Laila's mother's killer to walk free. Laila thought he was just creating a beautiful future for his daughter, but the more time passed the less sweet her once loving father was.

The girl couldn't understand whether he was blaming her. Laila knew for sure that in a way she blamed him for making her go to Las Encinas even if it skyrocketed her chances at getting into a better university. She blamed him for allowing Victoria's killer to walk out into a daylight again.

Laila continued to walk through the hallway, tired after having to climb two stories since their flat was on the 3rd floor and the elevator was broken since forever.

The closer Laila got to her apartment, the sadder she always grew, because in a way, two years ago Victoria would be still waiting for her, always smiling and so bright. Now, Laila came home to a view of her father, sometimes complete darkness because Frederick, no matter how depressed or drunk, still had a job - an ambulance driver. The work would sometimes keep him away for two to three days, and Laila, no matter how terrible she sounded, felt better when he was away, because it was better to be alone than to deal with her dad's depressive alcoholism.

Laila often tried to help him, she asked her dad to go to a therapist or a meeting of alcoholic's, but he'd grow angry then, yelling at Laila that she saw him like this. And even then, when Laila felt like she had had enough, she couldn't blame her dad - after all the drinking, he usually felt extremely bad and would beg for forgiveness, showing Laila he was sorry, that he did still love her underneath a heart Victoria had taken with herself.

It was better this way, because even if it sounded selfish, Laila didn't want to be left completely alone. Frederick had no family from his side, neither was her mom's family filled. From what Laila knew, she had an aunt living in Barcelona, but she and her mother weren't close - Laila saw her for the first time only when it was Victoria's funeral.