// thirty //

•Turning Page•

••••••

••••••

L A I L A  T A P P E D  H E R  F O O T  T O  T H E  S O U N D  O F  T H E  C L O C K. Her eyes, usually so calm and unnerved, continued to dance around as the detective stared at her intently. The time had come for them to reach the day Marina was actually killed, and the woman saw how stressed it made Laila be.

Not even her lawyer, her aunt talked, looking like she hid some things, but the detective didn't say anything, instead focusing on Laila, whose eyes looked like the saddest darkest ocean. "Tell me everything you know. Everything you saw or heard."

It was supposed to be simple. It was supposed to be easy and it was supposed to be quick. And yet when Laila thought she was ready, when she was about to open her mouth, her breath didn't allow her to utter a sound.

It was a sad June first. It was a day Marina died, it was a day Laila lost Guzman.

And it was a day the 16 year old children changed forever. To never come back to the way they once were.

••••••

I T W A S J U N E F I R S T. It also meant it was Laila's last day in Las Encinas, and she woke up feeling like it was also her last day to live. Not that Laila slept much because of what had happened between her and Guzman. A few days later, only then Laila was finally able to grasp the situation clearly.

Guzman had kissed her, and it stayed in her mind like an ongoing movie, unable to be paused, and deep down, Laila did not even want to stop it. Even if she was shocked and a little uneasy, she did not dislike it. It was exactly this feeling which scared her, because it was Guzman, and they were supposed to hate each other, not kiss.

Laila knew he had grown to be warm to her, he had managed to show her that he had a different side to him, but not in million years would she have guessed that he may like her a little bit more. She didn't know whether she did, but she most likely didn't want to. So, Guzman's kiss had knocked Laila out of sense, and she had no idea what their next conversation would be like.

In a way, she felt glad she was moving away just because of that. However, something told Laila that she'd get more of Guzman before doing so.

Laila tried not to think much about Guzman or what had happened between them, instead focusing on her last school day. It bugged her when she got into her uniform in the morning, knowing that soon the dark blue blazer would be hanged away.

A few months earlier she would've enjoyed the fact she'd be leaving Las Encinas, but now, after so many things had changed, Laila felt like a good opportunity was slipping away from her fingers. Nevertheless, Frederick was far more important than school, and he needed to get better. Especially after his current hardships of not drinking.