chapter six

"What are you doing here?" My mind was racing back and forth already. My ex-boyfriend was standing in the middle of the room.

"I came to visit Louise, but I really wanted to talk to you." Talk to me? What was not clear to Louise that I didn't want to speak to him, let alone see him. Where was Louise?

"Danny, I told you before I even left for school that I didn't want to see you."

"I know, but I just want to talk to you, even if it's only for ten minutes. I don't like the way we left things."

"Left things? You cheated on me. How was I supposed to leave you?"

"There's a lot more I want to say. I made a mistake, I didn't want things to turn out the way that they did-"

"Well, they did. And it's your fault that it ended this way." My mind was still trying to grapple with Danny standing inside my dorm room. This was the last person I expected to see tonight.

"Em, just listen to me-"

"I don't want to listen to you! I'm tired of being told to give you a chance and hear what you have to say. What you did was unforgivable. I'm still hurting," my eyes looked back at him with pain and annoyance. I was trying to filter the words throughout my head on what to say next, but I was too caught up in my spinning feelings. My past with Danny was always going to be there, but right now I didn't have the strength to bring back the memories. I don't think I've been the same since we broke up.

"Em," he tried to grab my hand, wanting to pull me closer to him. "Please don't do this.

"No," I said removing my hand from his grip. "I can't Danny. I just can't talk about this now, and I didn't ask you to come here. I think you need to leave."

The door turned open with Louise standing in its way. Her eyes widened, clearly not expecting to see me back so soon.

"Oh shit," she muttered. "Em, what are you doing back here already?"

"I text you I was on my way." I gave her a look of frustration. I hoped more than anything that she didn't plan his visit here. "Did you know he was coming and purposely not tell me?"

"I had no idea, I swear. I wanted to have him gone before you came back," she said.

"Look, whatever the case may be, I just can't do this right now. It's getting late and this is the last thing I want to do right now."

"Just give me five minutes of your time, please Em. You can't just throw me out like I was nothing in your life."

"Well you should have thought about that before you stuck your tongue down some other girls throat." Louise's eyes glared at Danny, waiting for his response. He finally stood there with not knowing what to say next.

"I- please just let me talk to you," Danny pleaded. He was a broken record, and I was tired of trying to make him understand. "I still love you, Em." The word "love" coming out of Danny's mouth pierced my ears. The last time he told me he loved me I was breaking up with him, swearing to never see him again. Although it was a high school love, it felt real to me.

He stood there with his brown eyes in a blank stare, waiting for my response.

"If you want any chance of me willing to listen to you, then you need to leave. Now," I said. The look of defeat was finally coming clear on his face. Louise stood awkwardly in the corner of our room, trying not to involve herself any more in the situation.

Danny grabbed his phone from Louise's bed and put it in his pocket, walking closer to the door. "I'm sorry for coming. Just please know I want to make it up to you."