the beginning

September

There were simply too many books. My collection had grown to over two hundred classics, fictions, non-fictions and biography's, most of them already wedged in numerous suitcases. Although I was still unsure on where they were all going to fit, I was somehow optimistic.

Actively avoiding my internal countdown till college-move-in-day, the day was arriving on time - and fast. Although my new place of living is only thirty minutes from my childhood bedroom, I was going to miss the comfort of my small town and local library. I had known nothing other than the sixty kids in my graduating class and the familiarity of seeing someone you knew every time you went into the grocery store. Granted, a trip home every once in a while would be easy, but it won't feel the same.

Ever since I was little, books have been the one thing that have always been by my side. The idea of being able to paint hundreds of alternate lives for myself, so much that I would never have to leave my house, enticed me. But I knew it wouldn't last forever. Sooner or later, I'd have to leave the small town of Walsh, Connecticut and move down the road to another, small town and unfamiliar school. One where I knew only my best friend and the characters tucked away in my luggage.

"It's not going to be that bad, Embry," Louise muttered with her nose scrunched in her phone. She was right, it's not going to be that bad, but that doesn't mean it won't be awful. "Besides, imagine if you didn't have me? You'd be stuck with one of those horror-story roommates who pee in your shampoo bottle while you're in class."

Luckily for me, my best friend was staying close to home. Not by choice, but because of money, or lack there of. West Percclare University was one of the cheaper, yet nicer options out of the pick of state schools. Despite it being in another small town, the population of the school was rather large.

"Have you even started packing?" I said, throwing one of my pillows at her.

"Almost. Watching you pack is going to give me the motivation to start."

"I can already tell I'm going to have to drag you out of bed for class each morning, aren't I?"

"You know what Em," Louise said, finally looking up from her phone, "You're absolutely right." I let out a small laugh, almost mistaken as a sigh of relief. Knowing that Louise was coming with me made me feel more comfortable about leaving.

Louise has never had a problem with confidence, rather she eludes it. She has been non-stop talking about how excited she is to go to college. All throughout high school she loved socializing - I hoped it would rub off on me, now more than ever.

"Have you even said goodbye to Danny?" Whenever he was brought into conversation, my eyes seemed to immediately roll with frustration.

"Why would I do that?" My tone came off harsh, only realizing till after.

"I don't know, I just thought you would, that's all."

"I know he's your brother and all, but I-"

"This has nothing to do with me," Louise butt in, as usual. "I just want you to get some closure, it's the least you deserve."

I hadn't spoken to Danny since the beginning of May; it was September now.

As if the options for dating in Walsh weren't slim enough, I would date the twin brother of my best friend. At the time, it never posed an issue. He was the first person I felt confident enough to be vulnerable with. Granted, I spent most of my childhood with him as Louise is my best friend.

All the men I had read in my books started to feel more alive because of him. I thought I was in love with someone real.

And hey, maybe I was.