chapter ten

It was the first night I had stayed over at Eli's place. I turned to my side to see Eli's eyes still closed, both hands tucked under his pillow.

I couldn't help but stare at his face, lying there with the sun lightly accenting his skin. My mind took me back through the events of last night, reimagining Eli's touch and taste. I had never felt the way I have right now before; refreshed and utterly guilty. I had hoped the next morning would ease some of the guilt I've been feeling, but it did nothing of the sorts. It only made me feel worse- how was I able to connect with Eli like this without him knowing I kissed someone else, only hours before?

I rolled over to my side to grab my phone, and sure enough Danny had texted me three times throughout the night.

Danny: Em, please answer me.

Danny: We need to talk about what happened. You can't pretend like I don't exist.

Danny: Is this really how you're going to handle this?

I ignored all three again. I knew I had to confront Danny at some point, even though he was the last person I wanted to see. If I don't, it's only going to get worse, if it hasn't already. As for telling Eli, I still felt completely helpless on what to do.

I decided to put my phone back on Eli's night stand and tuck myself under the covers again. Although it was more than stupid of me, for just a couple minutes more, I pretending that "Danny and I" never existed.

I moved my body closer to Eli's and placed my hand on his head, combing through his curls. He moved suddenly, finally opening his eyes with a smile that met mine.

His green eyes shone in the sunlight, the prettiest they had seemed yet.

"Good morning," he said inching closer to me, grabbing my waist with his hand. He kissed me on the forehead, sending the frequent shock throughout my body.

"Morning," my voice managed to let out in a raspy tone.

I prayed my breath didn't smell and I didn't look completely horrifying without any makeup on. Even if both of those were true, I knew Eli wouldn't care what I looked like. And that's what I loved about him.

"You look great," Eli said.

"Yeah...I'm sure," I said jokingly. He took his hand to my face, inching it closer to his for a kiss on the lips. The familiar taste from last night hit myself, taking my mind back to one of the most amazing nights I've had yet. The smell of his cologne still lingered on his body.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked after our lips pulled apart.

"Yes, how bout you?" I lied, still contemplating how bad of a person I was.

"Amazing with you next to me," I cringed at Eli's words. Not because of him, but because I feared the way I looked right now. And it still freaked me out when any type of boy complimented me, even if it was Eli. "Last night was amazing."

I'm glad Eli thought so, and of course so did I. I wasn't expecting us to be that close just yet, but I'm more than glad that it happened - despite my guilt.

"I hope it was for you too," Eli added hesitantly.

"Of course it was. I loved every moment of it." He gushed at my response, planting another kiss on my forehead. I knew I would never get tired of that.

"I hoped you would." The two of us laid there, intertwined with one another as we listened to the commotion of his roommates throughout the house.