chapter four

I texted Eli back later that day agreeing to meet him at the campus library around 8 o'clock. The rest of my classes had flown by quickly, which I was thankful for considering I already had a project to work on.

I also couldn't help but think of Danny, despite my feelings towards him. It bothered me that he was asking Louise about me. They can't help it that they're siblings, but I don't appreciate him pestering Louise about how I'm doing. Although I was hesitant to leave Walsh, I was looking forward to leaving him behind.

I decided to pack my laptop, my planner, and a bag of popcorn for the library. I didn't know how long we were going to be there so I figured a snack wouldn't hurt. Should I have packed him some, too?

WPU had two libraries, which I thought to be the coolest thing ever. The one we were meeting at wasn't too far from my dorm, which I was thankful for the shorter walk at night. I was wearing my Yale hoodie, a pair of leggings and my converse. I hadn't really thought much on my outfit, but I assumed it was silly considering we were only doing homework. I made sure to text him that I was on my way.

Me: On my way now. Where in the library did you want to meet?

I eventually made my way to the library, listening to my "school playlist" that I made on Spotify on the way. Eli responded, saying to meet on the third floor near the stacks. Once I made my way up there, I saw him sitting at a large table, already with his computer and notebooks spread out.

"Embry Lincoln, nice of you to join me," Eli said. I put my stuff down, sitting across from him. His hair was messed up in a cute sort of way. He was also wearing a hoodie and sweats, which only made me feel better about my own appearance.

"Hi Eli," I said.

"Here, I got you this," he said, while pushing a Dunkin' coffee cup my direction. "I didn't know how you take it, or even if you drink it at all," he stumbled, " but I brought you some cream and sugar packets just in case." He bought me coffee? Maybe I should have brought him some popcorn after all.

"Thank you, you didn't have to do that."

"Don't mention it. How's your first day going so far?"

"Pretty good. I haven't managed to walk into the wrong classroom yet," I responded. "I've been a little overwhelmed, just with being at a new school and all."

"Well that's to be expected. Last year, I was so nervous my first day. But at least you already got a friend in Creative Writing," he said with a smile. I could feel myself blushing again as I nervously fix my hair.

"That's true," I responded with a smile as well. I eventually got out my laptop and notebook knowing that if we started doing our work, there would be no need for me to be nervous. I definitely found Eli attractive, so staring at him any longer wasn't going to help my situation. My mind needed the distraction.

Eli and I began discussing our favorite books, from authors, genres and everything in between. Our idea was to find out what we both liked best in order to give us inspiration for our assignment. Surprisingly, Eli and I had a lot in common when it came to books. We've read almost about the same novels, except for Little Women, of course. That one I was willing to let slide, for now.

He told me he was an English major as well, which didn't surprise me from the way he was talking. It also now made sense why he was in my creative writing class.

"Stephen King might just be my favorite," Eli said. Stephen King was almost my love language. Although I didn't have his full collection, he did fill up fifty percent of my bookshelves back in my dorm room.