Lying in Love

Weeks later, Hermione confronted Ginny about something she'd known for a long time.

"You stole the Amortentia," Hermione said quietly, as Ginny walked away.

Ginny tensed, and turned round slowly. 

"You know everything, Hermione. How?"

It had been Draco who had guessed, but she of course no longer remembered this. She thought it was something she'd figured out.

"It was after our first NEWTs lesson with Slughorn. You snuck in. You stole some of the Amortentia and gave Dean some so he would kiss you. It was luck that made Harry and Ron walk in on you, because you'd taken the Felix Felicis. You gave Harry some, and now he's in love with you!"

The expression on Ginny's face was cold and unwelcoming. 

"Do you know what it's like to be the youngest with six older brothers?" She asked in a tremulous voice. "Bill was Head Boy, brilliant, clever, handsome. Charlie comes along and he's Quidditch Captain. Isn't it wonderful? Two darling wonderful boys. Percy is a Prefect and Head Boy, and got a position into the Ministry as the Minister of Magic's Junior Assistant straight out of school but he's stormed off, and then Fred and George! Clever, funny; they've just created the most successful joke shop in wizarding Britain! And Ron is a Prefect and achieved seven OWLs. It's so degrading. 

"So when I do well in my OWLs, they won't be remembered because Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George and Ron have all done it before me! I had to make him notice me. I wanted his love. I've craved it for six years. So I decided, if I couldn't make him love me, I would use something that would. Amortentia. I knew I couldn't brew it, like you would have done, Hermione, if you'd been reckless enough to think of doping someone, so I stole it. I stole it just like I stole Tom Riddle's diary under his influence, and tore apart Harry's belongings."

"You shouldn't have done it," Hermione said, although she knew Ginny already knew that.

The fifth year looked so defeated.

"I never used it on Harry," Ginny admitted. "I gave Dean a tiny bit at the start. Really, it was the smallest drop."

"But it's the most powerful love potion in the world," Hermione pointed out.

"Yes," Ginny continued. "But the love potion wore off and Dean and I stayed together. I did like him, I swear."

"I know you did, Ginny."

"I think Harry seeing Dean and I kissing did something."

"He's been head over heels with you all year, Ginny," Hermione said with a reluctant laugh. "Maybe even since last year. You didn't need Amortentia for any of it."

"He has?"

"Yes. Harry is the most obvious person ever."

"I'm so worried about him," Ginny confessed. "Why did I fall in love with the Chosen One? He's in so much danger!"

"He's always in danger," Hermione said ruefully.

"I've just been so worried about him and my family and you and Neville and Luna and everybody!" 

And Ginny, brave Gryffindor, seventh child of a seventh child, and brilliant witch, burst into tears.

Hermione hugged her. 

"I won't tell anyone about the Amortentia," she promised, in a soothing, calming voice. 

She stroked Ginny's hair. 

"It'll be alright. Everything will be alright."

"But the war! It's only just starting!" Ginny wailed.

Hermione looked into the girl's terrified eyes. 

"Do you trust Harry? Do you trust Dumbledore? You must trust the Order."

"I do! I do trust them! I have faith in Harry – hhe's wonderful. But Vvvoldemort's too strong!"

"Faith is important. Never lose faith. Remember, will Harry ever let Voldemort get away with this? No. We'll be fine. Times like these, dark times, it can bring people together. They can tear them apart."

It was what Draco had told her, her subconscious screamed. 

And he had been right, her brain thought. 

It had torn them apart.

*****

A.N. Thank you for reading and please comment!