Pursuing Enquiries

Hermione waited eagerly for Draco to reply to her note. She'd been blunt in her message and hoped for a similarly blunt answer.

Draco,

We need to talk. Meet me in the library on Monday after class.

Hermione

She was delighted, when, after a tedious Potions lesson, in which she became increasingly bad-tempered after her results were poorer than the 'Half-Blood Prince's', Draco stuffed parchment in her hand.

"Move it, Mudblood!" He snarled, barging past. Zabini gave her a cold look as he followed his friend out.

Ron, who was also annoyed about Harry's over-achieving, fiddled about for his wand.

"I'll teach that cockroach!" He exclaimed, finally flourishing his wand and brandishing it furiously.

"It's not worth it, Ron. He'll never stop," Hermione whispered fervently, all too aware of both Professor Slughorn and Lavender Brown watching their interaction carefully.

Irritated, Ron slid his wand back up his sleeve, but continued muttering as they walked down the corridor. Eventually Hermione had had enough.

"Ron, I'm going to the library. See you at dinner."

She was almost disgruntled when he didn't respond, but figured that he was still caught up over Draco. Almost.

*

Hermione searched the library, and grew increasingly impatient when she found no trace of Draco anywhere.

"Where can he be?" She mused.

She saw Hannah Abbott and Susan Bones at a far table.

"May I join you?" She asked, indicating the empty seat.

"Of course, Hermione," Susan replied, surprised.

When seated, Hannah bombarded her with questions.

"Are we continuing the DA this year? What happened at the ministry? What really happened to Sirius Black?"

Hermione felt her heart sinking. In her excitement about the new schoolyear, she'd forgotten about the events of the last term. She felt an old pain in her chest where Dolohov's curse had struck.

"Excuse me, sorry," she gasped, and ran for the door. Unfortunately, this meant that she became tangled in the person about to enter and ended up on the floor.

"Granger."

Draco Malfoy stared down at her with an unreadable expression on his face. She tried to catch her breath, but failed, becoming even more panicked.

"The ministry_ Dolohov_ Sirius_"

Draco didn't hear everything she said, but gathered that she was understandably shaken.

"Shh, calm down, Hermione," he said soothingly, kneeling before her. "It's me, Draco. Dolohov isn't here – he's in prison. Please, Hermione, you have to calm your breathing."

After a few minutes, Hermione finally calmed enough to be helped back to her feet.

"Thank you," she said shakily. "It was Hannah and Susan – they were questioning me about the ministry. I'd forgotten all about it_" She burst into tears.

Draco guided her head into his shoulder.

"You're safe now," he soothed. "Everything is all right."

"But it's not, is it?" She asked, rocking forwards and backwards. "What happened this summer, Draco? Why weren't you in lessons? Talk to me, Draco!"

He pushed her away and began walking away.

"Draco!" She called. "Draco, where are you going?"

Something was on the floor. The crumpled note Draco had pushed into her hand earlier.

Granger,

Leave me alone. I do not wish to talk to you. I never want to see your buck-toothed face again. If you try to speak to me, there will be consequences. Consequences which we will both have to live with.

Stay away,

Malfoy

*****

A.N. Ooh! What will happen next??? Dramione seems a bit thin on the ground, doesn't it?????

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!!