The Importance of Names

"So, um, did you hear about the victory of the Montrose Magpies?" Draco asked awkwardly. "They absolutely smashed the Chudley Cannons. Bet Weasel wasn't pleased. They needed someone like Eunice Murray on their team."

"Don't you dare change the subject!" exclaimed Hermione. "This is our wedding! We'll talk about wedding things, not Weaselby!"

"Chill, Hermione," grinned George. "I put a Full-Body-Bind on dear Ronald. I should have put one on Mum too but I thought that would be mean. It was Fred's greatest wish for that to happen so, as a final prank, I decided not to."

While he said it in jest, George's grin vanished as he talked about his long-dead brother. George and Angelina had been successful in their joke shop venture, and there was a plaque dedicated to Fred above the front window.

"I didn't think Mrs Weasley would ever stop crying," Draco said.

"There's a reason I bought tissues," Hermione said sensibly. "They weren't just for myself, you know," she elbowed Draco, who laughed.

"I never said they were!"

"What were you saying about the Montrose Magpies?" asked Ginny, sidling up to Draco. "I thought us Hollyhead Harpies might actually stand a chance against them this year."

"You played very well," Draco agreed. "I actually thought you could have done this..."

Ginny and Hermione's newly-appointed husband walked off, nattering about Quidditch.

Harry appeared at Hermione's shoulder. He hadn't spoken to her all day.

"How are you holding up?" he asked quietly. "After fraternising with and marrying the enemy, and all that."

She whipped round, fury in her eyes, but he only laughed, holding up his hands in surrender.

"I was only joking! I'm really happy for you."

He smiled, and gave her a big hug.

"I'm glad you gave Malfoy a chance. He's no longer a prat and, hopefully, nor am I."

Hermione laughed as well.

"No, you're not a prat anymore, Harry. I just wish Ron wasn't still one."

They both sighed.

"I thought it was just jealousy, all this time," Harry admitted, "but I'm really not sure. He liked you all these years, but he never showed it in the right way."

"He bullied me," said Hermione. "That wasn't anywhere close to the right way."

"I technically bullied you too," Harry shrugged awkwardly.

"Maybe," Hermione continued, "but you frequently apologised, and we were teenagers. Ron just never grew up."

"Have you spoken to him at all?" he asked.

Hermione shook her head.

"I can't face it. This is meant to be the happiest day of my life, and it is, so far. Talking to him would make everything worse. He did this to himself. There's nothing I need to do."

"Now, that's the Hermione Granger I grew to love," Harry laughed. "You don't have to do anything. It's all on him. Now, will you do me the honour of this dance, Mrs Malfoy?"

"I think I'll stick with Mrs Granger," Hermione said with a smile, "or maybe Granger-Malfoy."

"Have you told Mr Granger that yet?"

"Nope. I thought I'd surprise him."

Harry grinned.

"I think it will."

"What was that?" Draco asked suddenly, appearing before them.

"Good to see you, Mr Granger," Harry said, with a laugh. "I'll get that dance later, Hermione."

He vanished. Hermione later saw him and Ginny slow-waltzing through the garden. More wedding bells were certainly on the horizon.

"Mr Granger?" Draco said, with some surprise. "You're not taking my name?"

"I'm not sure yet," Hermione said, tilting her head, "but I think I'd prefer to keep where I've come from. You're bringing the magic, and I'm bringing the equality. I came from Muggles, and I'm proud of that, and I taught you to understand it too. I want to keep it."

"I think we should make it double-barrelled," Draco stated suddenly.

"What?"

She was shocked he saw her point so quickly.

"Well, think about it."

"I'm thinking."

"You want to keep Granger, and I want to keep Malfoy, not to mention the fact that my parents might kill me if the Malfoy name was erased from the history books."

"Maybe it should be," Hermione pointed out tentatively.

"While I don't deny the Malfoy family's dark origins, we could make it a learning curve. The Malfoy name bears a lot of weight. The Granger name shows a new age for wizardry everywhere. Voldemort is gone. The Death Eaters are gone. And I, the son of a former Death Eater, am prepared to show my love for my beautiful Muggle-born wife."

He smiled at her.

"Granger-Malfoy. Magic and Muggle, united as one. We keep everything, and we make it better for everyone."

Hermione smiled so brightly she thought her heart would burst with joy and love. She kissed him quickly.

"Thank you," she whispered as she stood on tiptoes.

"I hope for a longer kiss later, Mrs Granger-Malfoy," Draco drawled, amused. "But for now, I believe I am owed a dance."

"For compromising on a double-barrelled surname?" Hermione raised her eyebrows.

"Perhaps not owed, then," said Draco, "but I would love a dance with my new wife."

"Better," Hermione smiled.

"Lead on, Mrs Granger-Malfoy," Draco grinned. "Lead on."

*****

A.N. Thank you for reading and please comment!