Our VBF (Very Big Friend)

Hermione did go to see how Malfoy was doing, however briefly. His nose wasn't broken but he did assure her it hurt very much. She felt some pity but then remembered what he'd said and felt undoubtedly furious.

"You shouldn't have provoked them!" She exclaimed, sitting down with a thud beside him. "Just because you'd lost_"

"Don't pretend you understand my feelings!" Draco exploded. "Why must you always think you know everything? You have no idea how I feel!"

"Then help me too," Hermione insisted quietly, softening a little.

"Every time I lose, I get a letter," he whispered with despair. "Every time. He emphasises my weakness, tells me he deserves a better son, a better child at least. Then he tells me," his voice became almost inaudible, "that he'll be waiting – waiting for my return from school. He... he_" Draco couldn't go on.

Hermione watched him with gentle eyes. She suddenly got up and hugged him. 

"Oh, Draco." Her embrace contained all the support he needed. "I'm so sorry... So sorry." Her warmth disappeared and he realised she was standing by the door. "I must go, before someone discovers me here." 

With him, he thought bitterly. Why should people care? Now as he thought, he wondered whether she was apologising for leaving, or simply sorry for the realisation of his true fear.

*

Hermione's absence went unnoticed; Angelina, Ginny, Fred, George, Katie and Alicia were all grieving with Harry over the loss of their three players; Angelina in particular. Ron only appeared later, confessing his need to resign, when Harry quickly updated the frozen boy. Standing over by the window, keen to avoid the argument, she noticed something that could possibly cheer up both Ron and Harry.

"Well," her voice trembled slightly, "I can think of one thing that might cheer you both up."

Harry was sceptical. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," she turned away from the window, a broad smile already forming on her face. "Hagrid's back."