The Second War Begins

The time seemed to fly by until the holidays. Draco spent the remaining time quite often on his own; more annoyed by Crabbe and Goyle than usual. He even reverted to Jinxing Pansy's lips shut for an entire afternoon to stop her going on about his father. It wasn't like he cared that his father was in Azkaban. He was sure that the Ministry would keep him there as long as possible and that was the way he liked it. However, the Dark Lord would be angry and his anger might possibly be directed at Draco and his mother.

Also, Granger was in the Hospital Wing recovering from a particularly nasty curse of Dolohov's. If he ever saw the man... There was no telling what he might do. She had to take ten different potions every day according to Severus, who'd given him a strange look when he'd asked after her.

"Erm, Pansy asked," he lied miserably. "She wanted to know if Granger was getting her comeuppance."

Why did he even bother lying? Severus could see right through him.

"Very well, Draco," the man said sharply. "Stay out of more trouble."

"Yes, Sir," Draco replied and headed to the library. He'd attempted to curse Potter in front of Severus and Professor McGonagall but had avoided losing points primarily due to his godfather. Potter had lost ten, though, so all was good.

*

It was two days before the end of term and Hermione had been released from the Hospital Wing the day before. She could be found in the far corner of the library, reminiscing in silence until Draco appeared to sit opposite her.

"I wondered where you were," he began quietly. Lee Jordan was composing a letter at the nearest table, possibly to Fred and George at their shop, but luckily Draco could not be seen from where the seventh-year was sitting. "As our OWLs have finished, I thought you might be with Weasley and Potter. But then, considering what happened at the Ministry of Magic, I supposed you might be alone." The expression on his face was sympathetic but guarded.

"People have been pestering me," Hermione whispered, staring at the table, "about what happened because it's not very well known that Ginny, Neville and Luna were there in the Department of Mysteries too. Ron is prone to exaggerating and is constantly in the presence of Harry, who people know not to bother. Any everybody knows I was there because of Dolohov's trial."

Draco took her hand.

"If I could murder Dolohov right now, I would," he said determinedly. "Technically they didn't even need a trial: after all, Bartemius Crouch Senior didn't give convicted Death Eaters a trial in the First War."

"Everyone deserves justice," Hermione insisted and quickly winced, her hand going to her ribs. "Dumbledore told the court of his crimes and life imprisonment has been granted. As for your father..."

She tailed off, letting go his hand and walking over to the bookshelves. She reached up to put Asiatic Anti-Venoms back in its place when she gasped, stumbling, clutching her ribs. She put a hand out to grab the shelf and missed. Draco was on his feet in an instance, catching Hermione before she fell. She collapsed, semi-conscious, into his arms.

"Granger?" Draco asked anxiously, setting the fallen girl down on the window seat and settling beside her. Hermione's eyes blinked open again, dazedly, and her hand crept back into his.

"I'm sorry about your father, Draco." Hermione's face looked pale and wan, while Draco's was drawn with concern. "He was influenced by the wrong people."

"'Seduced by the dark side!'" Draco quoted sarcastically. "He made the wrong decision but it was entirely his own, Hermione."

Hermione gasped: it was the first time he'd ever said her Christian name aloud or insulted his father so bitterly.

"You just said my name," she whispered, shocked.

"Well, it is the most beautiful name I have ever heard," Draco replied honestly.

"And you insulted your father..."

"My father has taught me to be prejudiced against you and your 'kind' for sixteen years, when I should have been prejudiced against Voldemort. Forget it, Hermione. I already have." He sounded so genuine, and caring.

"When did you watch Star Wars? I thought you hated Muggles," Hermione asked, confused by his sudden change of character.

"Despising Muggles means despising your parents," Draco said softly. "And I couldn't do that – they raised you, and you're wonderful. I wanted to visit you in the Hospital Wing, Hermione, I really did, but you were always surrounded. I'm sorry about what happened at the Ministry. Do you want to talk about it? That normally works for me."

And so Hermione cautiously rested her head against his shoulder, feeling surprisingly safe, and told of the events of the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. She hadn't been conscious for most of it but she'd been gradually filled in, by Ron, by Ginny; even Luna had chipped in. She finally felt at peace again.

*

The last day was hectic, and the train journey even more so. Crabbe and Goyle attempted to hex Potter in the corridor and the result was that all three were transfigured into ugly toads by the remaining DA members. It was Hermione that changed him back before the train pulled into the station and gave him a goodbye hug.

"Try and have a good summer, won't you Draco?" Hermione smiled up at him.

"I shall try my very best." A grin tugged at his lips. "Keep safe."

"I will," Hermione promised. "Will you write?"

"If I can," Draco said solemnly. "That's not a promise."

Hermione embraced him. 

"I don't need promises," she laughed, her eyes vaguely watery. "I don't need vows. I just want friendship, at the end of the day. Because, when it comes to it, the final battle, it'll be friendship we want; friends who fight for each other, who keep each other out of harm. I just need a picture of that, even if doesn't come true. Stay safe, Draco. And fight the darkness, until I come back, to be your light."

*****

A.N. A huge chapter to conclude the Order of the Phoenix. I'm extremely proud of myself, even if I do say so myself.

Did anyone cry at Hermione's final speech? (I did.) I imagined Emma Watson speaking those last lines and I turned into Hagrid at Aragog's funeral. :)

Star Wars references! Any other fans out there? Out there in a faraway galaxy?

The title of this chapter is the same one as in the book.

Thanks for reading and please comment!