Ministry Methods

Draco found himself disliking Umbridge even more over the next few weeks. Despite it being their OWL year, she seemed to think theory would get them through their DADA exam. It was well known that Umbridge had given Harry a week of detentions on the first day for proclaiming Voldemort's return. Each teacher was lecturing them about the importance of OWLs; fat use that was if they were being taught by a hag in pink for DADA, Draco thought, and he still hadn't spoken to Hermione.

They weren't running into each other at the library any more; Draco believed that, having known his schedule so well last year, she probably knew his for this year too and was purposely coming when she knew he wouldn't be there. Draco couldn't bring himself to be the first to run into her, and made matters worse imitating Hermione jumping up and down in her eagerness to answer a question, buck-toothed, in Grubbly-plank's lesson on Bowtruckles, tree guardians that live in wand-trees, and dropped his second hint of the year. His first had of course been the dogging quote; they probably should know that Voldemort knew Sirius Black was an Animagus, and his second was regarding Hagrid.

"Maybe he's been messing with stuff that's too big for him, if you get my drift."

Giants. Dumbledore was recruiting giants. But the Death Eaters had got there first. And soon enough, his father had told the ministry about Sirius Black.

The Ministry of Magic has received a tip-off from a reliable source that Sirius Black, notorious mass murderer, is currently hiding in London.

He had to talk to Hermione.

*

Hermione diligently ploughed her way through her homework, managed to knit more elf hats, and reread Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard. She couldn't see how the book could help them with their OWLs and resolved to read all the books in the library on the Defence Against the Dark Arts. It was evening; the oil lamps lit; few were in the library. Footsteps could be heard from behind the nearest shelf. And Draco Malfoy rounded the corner.

"I have to talk to you," he said breathlessly, before she could get a word in.

"You were the one who wouldn't talk to me," Hermione pointed out edgily.

"Before you start shouting at me, and I would have the utmost sympathy if you did, for I know I deserve it; can I speak first?" Draco asked tiredly.

"Is it important?" Hermione questioned.

"Critical." Draco looked at her, and she could see the bags under his eyes. "My father knows Sirius Black is an Animagus, and he was the one who told the Daily Prophet that he's in London. Also, I'm technically not supposed to speak to you."

"Why?" Hermione was confused. "Did they find out? Your parents?"

"Yes," Draco sighed. Hermione gasped. "Coming back from Hogwarts, Mother and Father weren't the same as normal..."

He told her his story.

"She cast Legilimens on you?" Hermione asked concernedly. "But that can be really dangerous, tampering with other people's minds!"

Draco nodded. "As a decent Legilimens, Mother could see I was lying. Not that I was very convincing, anyway," he sighed. "There aren't many lies floating around when both your parents know Legilimency and they are both so good they know when the other is using Occlumency."

"Has she used it before on you?" Hermione questioned. "I'm pretty sure that's a breach of the law!"

"Father has," Draco replied in a very it-doesn't-matter tone. "Many times. Normally just to check I'm insulting anyone who isn't Pureblood or Slytherin, or to check my exam results without the bother of talking to me. I suppose I prefer that rather than the Crucia_" He realised his mistake at the last minute and looked down.