Gadding with Godfathers

Draco was up to his usual pursuit. Avoiding Umbridge. Most of the time, he got away with his late night wanderings by claiming he had been with Godfather Severus. Most of the time Severus backed up his claims. But tonight, it was his real excuse. A very confused Graham Montague had been found on the fourth floor, in a toilet. And he was the sorry soul that had been picked to tell the less than friendly Head of House. He burst into the office:

"Professor Snape, sir_ oh_ sorry_"

Harry Potter and his godfather appeared to be in a confrontation, with their wands out.

"It's all right, Draco." If it had been anyone else, he would be sporting several detentions right now, and a loss of points. Professor Snape lowered his wand. "Potter is here for a little remedial Potions."

Draco hadn't been so gleeful since Umbridge turned up to inspect Hagrid after his long absence. He'd thought Remedial Potions was a joke whenever he'd been threatened with it for a faulty potion back when he was seven. Obviously, he'd improved and had never been threatened with it at Hogwarts.

"I didn't know," he leered. Ah, what blackmail! He could taunt Potter with it now, and his enemy was even blushing with embarrassment.

"Well, Draco, what is it?" Asked his godfather.

"It's Professor Umbridge, sir – she needs your help. They've found Montague, sir, he's turned up jammed inside a toilet on the fourth floor."

"How did he get in there?" Snape demanded. It sounded like he was asking, "How did he come to be in my house?"

"I don't know, sir, he's a bit confused." Draco was always forced to call Severus 'sir' whenever at school and it got a bit tedious.

"Very well, very well," Severus replied reminiscently. "Potter, we shall resume this lesson tomorrow evening."

As Draco and Severus left, he turned to Potter and couldn't resist mouthing, "Remedial Potions?"

*

"Don't provoke Potter, Draco," Severus sighed, once they were out in the corridor. "He is easily provoked."

"That makes it funny," Draco replied lightly. "Also, he's not strong enough to beat me."

"'Don't attack the defenceless'," Severus wondered aloud.

*

Hermione was distraught when Harry said he was going to try and talk to Sirius. She always hoped that the boys would have a little more common sense than she gave them credit for, but it was a lost cause.

The three of them had been idly perusing the different careers booklets when the twins had come up to them.

"Hey," said Fred first. "Ginny's had a word with us about you." He stretched his legs on the booklet-cluttered table, causing several to slide to the floor. "She says you need to talk to Sirius?"

"What?" Hermione froze as she bent to pick up a booklet bearing the childish title: MAKE A BANG AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MAGICAL ACCIDENTS AND CATASTROPHES.

"Yeah..." Harry said casually, "yeah, I thought I'd like_"

"Don't be so ridiculous," Hermione interrupted. She could not believe her ears. How stupid were they? And Ginny! She would have a word with that girl when she next saw her. "With Umbridge groping around in all the fires and frisking all the owls?"

The twins answered for Harry and showed uncharacteristic consideration for those revising for their OWLs and NEWTs, which if she thought about it, they should be revising for, too.

"Yes, but still," continued Hermione, with the air of someone with superior intelligence speaking to someone remarkably obtuse, "even if you do cause a diversion, how is Harry supposed to talk to him?"

"Umbridge's office," replied Harry quietly, startling her. So Harry had put some thought to it. She quizzed him repeatedly, and eventually asked Ron's opinion.

"What do you think about this?" She turned on the unfortunate boy.

"I dunno," Ron answered, alarmed. "If Harry wants to do it, it's up to him, isn't it?"

"Spoken like a true Weasley and friend," Fred clapped Ron on the back. 

Hermione knew immediately she'd lost. Harry was going to break into Umbridge's office, and most probably get expelled for doing so. 

What an idiot.