Tumultuous Turmoil

Draco's mind was in turmoil. On the one hand, he had to keep his parents safe by adhering to the Dark Lord's plan. On the other hand, though, there was Hermione and her big puppy eyes begging him to spend time with her, chat with her, and be kind to her, like the old days.

Why did he have to fall for her of all people? A Gryffindor Mudblood, and the best friend of the arch-enemy of his Master. What was wrong with fate? Why, in Salazar's name, did this have to happen to him?

Honestly, he'd Obliviated his mate to save her. He'd insulted people to keep her. He'd hidden smiles and laughs, and feelings of longing, and belonging, to continue their friendship. Draco didn't think he could go back to how it was before he knew her, properly. He just couldn't.

*

"Draco," Hermione exclaimed in surprise, when she saw him hovering opposite her in library. "What are you doing here?"

"I had to see you," he replied in a calm voice. "I can't_ not_ see you."

"Oh." She was touched, really she was. "So you'll stop being all prickly?"

He laughed nervously.

"I'll stop being all prickly."

"Will you get some sleep?" She persisted.

"I'll get some sleep."

"And turn up to lessons?"

"When I can."

That was his concession.

She smiled weakly, but there was hope beneath it all.

"I can take that," she whispered.

"Good," he grinned back.

"I promise I won't ditch you again," he said suddenly. "I won't act all cold and distant."

"Yes." She closed her eyes briefly, and when she opened them again there was a new emotion thinly veiled. "Don't keep your distance."

He laughed, and soon she joined in, until Madam Pince burst in on them, and waved them out with a feather duster.

*****

A.N. Perhaps my shortest chapter to date! 

Thank you for reading; I promise it'll get better as I now have a plan for this as well, so... PLEASE COMMENT!!