Chapter 13: If Only

"Hey- princess?!"

—~—

Third Person POV

"I swear I've never met a stupider human."

After the poor female had collapsed, Sukuna had found out she was sick. Her forehead was burning, a light dust of pink coated her cheeks and ear, she was shivering, and to top it all off- snot was coming out of her nose.

Attractive.

"You're so dumb," Sukuna exhaled and picked her up- the (h/c)-haired girl unconsciously snuggling closer to his chest- and began to walk back to the castle.

To be honest, Sukuna saw all the signs of her being ill but didn't think twice of it because... he forgot humans could be capable of doing so. Forgive him, it's been some time since he was a human himself.

"You're lucky that I give a damn..." The red-eyed curse scoffed and (y/n) murmured something in her sleep, "Can you hear me? If you can, forget what I just said."

"Suki..." (y/n) mumbled and Sukuna looked down at her, "I'm sorry..."

"So you can hear me," the tall male sighed, "Listen, princess, it's fine. Just stay in that castle of yours next time you are sick-"

"Please don't be mad..."

"I'm not that mad."

"Can we... stay friends...?"

"What are you going on about?" Sukuna's eyebrows furrowed and he gazed questioningly at the royal, but she was still fast asleep, "So you're not awake..."

"Don't leave..."

Sukuna- just for the fun of it- wanted to answer her back just to see where her dream goes.

"And what if I do?" The pinkette asked and quietly snickered as (y/n)'s face contorted to an expression of sorrow.

Before he knew it, a stray tear cascaded down (y/n)'s (s/t) left cheek and the unconscious female let out a small whimper. More incoherent mumbling could be heard and Sukuna- not admittedly- felt guilty. After all, he didn't mean to actually make her sad, it was just a joke.

"I'm... sorry..." (y/n) quietly whispered as Sukuna finally got to the side door of the palace.

"There's nothing to be sorry about, princess," Sukuna sighed and reached out his right hand to grasp at the sliding paper door.

Another tear silently fell down her face.

"I lov-"

"There you are, lady (y/n)!" The sliding door slammed open to reveal a panicked Hamamura and (y/n) began to stir awake, "Where have you been-!? Oh, hi Sukuna-san."

Sukuna only nodded in response and Hamamura quickly motioned him over to the futon to place (y/n) down. The pink-haired curse gently laid the sleeping female on the infirmary's futon as Hamamura grabbed some herbal medicine and a damp rag.

"I told you to stay in bed, and yet, you still don't listen to me," Hamamura huffed as she brought the towel to (y/n)'s forehead and began to mix the medicine, "I knew I should've done my chores in your quarters to keep an eye on you..."