17 - graham nash

This was requested by the kind achillesfirststand ! It took me a bit for proper characterization (and it didn't help that there's 0 content for CSNY), so I hope you enjoy, dear!
❪❤︎❫
The golden light of the rising sun poured through the open window, bringing with it the welcoming warmth of a California day. It hardly ever rained, and you weren't used to such fair weather here. You didn't always make a habit of rising from bed early, but often times the brightness would sneak underneath your eyelids and force you awake long before Graham.

This morning was no different. You woke with Graham resting peacefully beside you. He was always such a quiet sleeper, not making so much as a noise as he laid there as still as the dead, save for his rhythmic breathing. You watched his hollow chest rise and fall a few times, counting the seconds between each inhale and exhale.

Like this, you thought Graham was truly beautiful. He huffed out a heavier breath, startling you, and rolled over in bed so that he was properly facing you. You smiled at him even if he couldn't see and compliment you on it. Graham had always thought that your smiles were the most attractive thing about you.

Your heart gave a happy hop at the memories that played through your head. You remembered when you had first met Graham at a folk festival, how he'd kept you grinning the entire night.

By the time you had gotten home, your cheeks were sore from the effort of moving your mouth. Graham had a way of keeping you hostage in conversation, drawing you in with eyes glittering with mirth and something witty muttered softly under his breath.

Now, Graham could make you smile without even trying.

Instead of disturbing him further, you slid out of bed, careful to not wake him. You were still naked from the night before, your hair a tangled mess on top of your head. Would you ever grow tired of this constant gratification? Out west, far away from any of your family, you could do whatever you wanted. And with Graham, you did. There was no one here to stop you but yourself. It was freeing and terrifying all at the same time.

Some mornings, neither you nor Graham would bother with much clothes. Today, you felt inexplicably insecure and desperate for a sense of mature normalcy. You threw on a robe over top one of Graham's shirts that you nicked from off the floor and snuck one last look at his prone form before heading downstairs to make breakfast.

The floors were cold beneath your bare feet and you shivered at the stillness of the house. When Graham was away, you felt as though you could drown here alone. With all of its homeliness, it was stark without company to share it. You sighed to yourself, throwing open the windows in the kitchen and airing the night out. Sunny heat spilled into the room and melted into the frozen tile that was trying its best to absorb it.

You put on a pot of coffee and started the process of making scrambled eggs. It was something easy enough for your sluggish brain to understand so early in the morning, and you wanted to do something for Graham, no matter how small. Whenever you did something domestic for him, like making dinner or sitting with him while he brainstormed song ideas, Graham would look at you like you were the center of his universe.

The first time that you had made something for Graham, it only a month into living together as a proper couple. The meal wasn't much with the slim budget that you were on, but most of the salad you'd made had come from a small garden in the backyard. You spent all day working on it for him and for weeks afterward, you weren't sure if Graham would ever leave your side. Even with the rest of his new band came over for little jamming sessions, he'd keep you close or haul you into his lap for a cuddle.