36 - donovan leitch

Requested by lindasveganburgers ! There is a serious lack of content for Donovan that needs to be rectified ASAP. C'mon y'all, what's not to love?
❪❤︎❫
As dawn waned into early morning, a blanket of soupy fog drifted listlessly across the rolling hills and green swaths of land. There wasn't a speck of life to speak of save for the occasional caw of a bird overhead or the moaning laments of a sheep that had wandered off too far on its lonesome.

You had woken up in an empty bed, as was tradition on mornings like these. Donovan would find a spark of inspiration in anything and he'd often wander off for somewhere secluded to write and test out different tunes on his guitar.

Instead of allowing the cold, empty feeling settle within you, you swallowed past the disheartenment as you often did. The mental picture of Donovan hiding out amidst the soft grasses, singing soft ditties for the evergreen to hear warmed you to your core. Suddenly, you needed to see him.

You rolled out of bed, throwing on your clothes haphazardly and nearly ignoring a scrap of paper left on the nightstand. It was a piece of notebook paper torn off of its spiral binding and weighted down by a smooth stone.

It was sanded down from the persistant currents of the water and time, being washed over again and again. You remembered venturing out with Donovan one day, both of you in search of any adventure that nature would provide you with. He had been apple-cheeked, blushing, as you walked hand in hand to the fairy pool.

This rock in particular had caught your eye because it wasn't perfectly shaped. It was partially exposed, sticking out of the water in an interesting luminous grayish-white lump. At some angles, it seemed to resemble a heart, and really, that's why you insisted that Donovan keep it.

He had accepted it with an even larger grin than before, promising that he'd keep it forever. A piece of nature and a piece from you.

You didn't really notice where Donovan had it hidden, and you suspected that he carried it around in his pocket for luck or sentimentality. So it certainly caught your eye sitting on the table like that.

Picking it up along with the note, you skimmed over the familiar script.

When you're ready, join me. Mother Nature awaits us.
– D

Beneath the wording were a few hastily drawn flowers whose vines encircled a pair of hearts. It was cheesy and endearing all at once. You giggled to yourself, carefully folding the letter up to save in one of your journals for later. You had been keeping Donovan waiting long enough.

The only disadvantage to living out in the middle of nowhere in Skye was that it often took you far too long to track Donovan down. At times, you'd be wandering for hours only to find that he'd chose a spot in the opposite direction. You swore Donovan did this on purpose just to make it a game of hide and go seek.

Not that you were complaining.

You brought your walking shoes in case Donovan planned a challenge for you and began the slow trek out across your acres of land. The fog made it difficult to see five inches in front of you and the ground was marshy beneath your feet.

"Donovan?" You called, your voice echoing back at you before getting tangled up in the background noise of the sea. It was your way of starting off the game.