49 - roger mcguinn

Requested by Taram4490 . It took me a hot second to characterize Roger, so bear with me if I make some mistakes! This one gets a bit heated during some parts, but nothing too explicit happens.
❪❤︎❫
Screeching and skidding along the steaming California roads, Jim acted almost anxious driving along the winding streets. He drummed his fingers along the steering wheel and fidgeted with the radio every now and again, flicking indecisively between stations.

Jim had been quiet today, barely saying two words to you before this impromptu outing, and you were more than a little confused about his behavior. It wasn't uncharacteristic for Jim to have his erratic days, but he always managed to stop and let you know what was going on in that complex brain of his before going off the rails. This time, there had been no warning at all.

He at least had the decency to kiss your forehead as he loaded you up into the car, insisting that this would be a nice date completely different from those that you spent in restaurants or in parks. You still had no idea where Jim would be taking you. He'd left that bit a secret with no hints to be found beneath tinted rectangular sunglasses.

It was so easy for Jim to wall himself away in his own mind. Sometimes it was near impossible to bring Jim back to the present, as he was constantly overthinking. Not even your gentle touch could startle him during a mood. Jim was so hyperfocused on The Byrds and music that he slowly spent less and less time with you.

You tried to convince yourself that Jim was just busy. That he didn't mean anything by it. That it wasn't his fault you were so sensitive about these sorts of things. Jim couldn't help it that he had other passions besides you. Regardless, it was a difficult pill to swallow. Some nights you could do nothing but glare at Jim's abandoned guitar with barely hidden disdain.

So you would be right to be a little puzzled about why Jim was taking you out all of the sudden. You were loath to look a gift horse in the mouth however, and decided not to question Jim's motives much further lest he change his mind. The last thing you wanted was for Jim to lose interest entirely. It was bad enough that the thought tugged on your heart late at night. You couldn't bear to make that a reality.

"Temprano's?" You asked, sending Jim a glance out of the corner of your eye. You had been naming off potential places for the past ten minutes and getting shot down each time.

"Not Temprano's," Jim replied. "Or any other Italian place."

You sighed, defeated for the moment, and turned to peer out the window in hopes that some passing scenery would give you a clue. Midday was slowly fading into late afternoon, lighting the sky up with flaming colors as Jim navigated the car around the Valley. You'd already driven by nearly every shop, restaurant and dive bar that you had ever frequented, making anymore guesses incredibly difficult.

Giving up for the time being, you resigned yourself to being patient and waiting for Jim to make the big reveal. He showed no signs of stopping, eyes focused on the road ahead, his long, floppy fringe draped across his forehead. You ached to reach over and tenderly brush it from his face, though you weren't sure which Jim would greet you if you were to try such a thing.

Would he welcome your touch with playful kisses? Or would Jim moodily brush you away like a toy he'd grown weary of? You were too afraid to ruin the moment if the answer was the latter.

"Jim?" You picked at a spot of peeling leather on the seat.

"Hm?"