50 - jack bruce

Overdue request for the lovely -saturnss . I hope you enjoy, dear!
❪❤︎❫
Marching through the lush Scottish forests, you and Jack looked at peace with your surroundings. The sky was a kind blue and dotted with cotton candy clouds that drifted lethargically overhead. Though the sun was out and shining full force on an average summer day, the tall trees and overgrowth shaded you from its harsher rays.

You had been hiking for hours now on this surprise camping trip Jack had planned for you. Truly, you knew that it wasn't much of a shock. Jack's drug usage had gotten to a point where you could barely stand to be in the same house as him, and he was always coming home strung out and hardly being able to speak. You had grown increasingly upset and Jack was beginning to really notice it.

Even if this was a last-ditch effort to win your affections back, you loved it all the same. It had been so long since Jack took you anywhere, let alone somewhere as beautiful as this. He often regarded his birthplace with an embarrassed sort of acknowledgement, and it was only once or twice that you saw his parents. You hadn't even been past the border into Scotland before!

Any of Jack's apprehension and anxiety about bringing you seemed to evaporate upon your arrival. He was happy to see you gushing over old buildings and the beautiful nature. Secretly, Jack was proud to be part of something you enjoyed so much. It wasn't long before Jack was able to burst free of his shell and treat you on a proper date.

Bedding together in a rickety tent that Jack had bought last minute, you had camped out at the base of the trail until morning. Being with Jack out in the middle of nowhere was something you would cherish. Out here, you didn't have to share him with band members or the press. Out here, Jack only had eyes for you.

With your fingers loosely locked together, you strolled along trails and took in the sights. Jack spent less time admiring the scenery and more time gazing over at you as you gawked at large rocks and fields of moss. That's what you were currently doing, stooped over and feeling the soft, moist ground with your hands.

Beside you, Jack was smiling fondly, watching you eagerly explore the new landscape. His floppy bangs fell into his eyes with a passing gust of wind, unkempt strands giving him the impression of a slumbering bear that had just risen for the season. This comparison is where you had acquired Jack's new nickname – Bear – much to his annoyance.

But as the soft moss grew on the firm stone, the name grew on Jack.

"Bear, isn't this amazing?" You were asking, plucking a strangely shaped rock from its bed to show to Jack with childlike wonder. "Even the stones here are groovy, aren't they?"

Now that your attention was on Jack, his smile faded into the backdrop of his face, lips sliding over crooked teeth and hiding them from view. He never grew unkind, but it was clear that there was a barrier between you to protect his vulnerability. As always, you pretended that it didn't exist.

"Rocks are the same everywhere, Y/N," Jack teased. "You sound a bit biased to me."

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not," you replied, pocketing this find as a souvenir for when you returned to England. "You're Scottish and... well, this is like part of you, isn't it?"

The conversation immediately lost its playful edge, the emotion there raw and open. For a second, you regretted even bringing such sentiment to Jack. He wasn't the greatest at handling it and, oftentimes would simply shut down or work his way around handling it. The lack of discussion about his drug usage is what led you to this impromptu apology holiday.