2.08

It was Friday morning and their fifth day in New Orleans when they got a solid lead on a suspect. 

Garcia had found a link between three of the four locations after the fourth fire, they were all worked on by the same construction company. Which had now gone bust. 

The owner was too old to be their unsub but his son, and sole employee fit the profile to a T.

But when they went to his house, he wasn't home.

But a few minutes later, a call came through from a woman hiding in a diner bathroom saying a man fitting their unsubs description had come in waving a gun around with a can full of gasoline. 

"Morgan, JJ and Reid take the front. We'll take the back." Hotch ordered.

"Marcus Lowe, put the gun down!" Morgan shouted, leading the way inside the diner.

"Not until they pay up!" Marcus shouted, keeping the gun pointed at the cashier.

"It wouldn't make a difference Marcus, your dad's company is gone." JJ said, taking a few steps closer and putting her gun back in its holster.

"Back the hell up." Marcus shouted, turning and aiming the gun at JJ.

"Okay, okay." JJ said, following his instructions.

"There's no other way out of this man, you need to put the gun down." Morgan said.

"There is." Marcus stated, shoving the cashier to the floor, pointing his gun at the agents and firing.

----------

Lia had just gotten home for the weekend when she got the call from Garcia. She had asked Will to make sure she didn't have to have Henry that night as Derek had been planning something big for their six month anniversary despite Lia insisting she would be perfectly happy with a quiet night in. However this case had ruined their plans.

When she saw Penny's name on her phone she couldn't help the excitement that bubbled in her chest, expecting the call to be that the team were on their way home.

"Hey Penny." Lia said, trying to hide her excitement and not get her hopes up knowing it was extremely likely that the call would be Derek's attempt at letting her down lightly and telling her that he was too busy to even call himself.

"Hi Sweetness, how soon can you get to the office?"

"It's a twenty minute drive from my place, why? Is everyone okay?" The excitement in Lia's chest quickly became a constricting feeling of panic, something Garcia picked up on as her breathing became heavier.

"Deep breaths sweetheart. In and out." Garcia coaxed,  silently cursing technology for not being advanced enough for her to virtually hug Lia. "Derek is in the hospital but its not life or death so they're flying back tonight and JJ wants you here so I can keep an eye on you."

"Okay, I'm gonna leave now." Lia said.

"I will let the front desk know that you're with me. Everything's gonna be alright, okay."

"Thanks Penny."

----------

Once she arrived at Quantico, she parked her car and went straight to the front desk where she was recognised by one of the guards from the few times she had brought Jack and sometimes Henry. She was handed a visitors badge and escorted up to Garcia's office.

"Hi there my favourite Southern Belle!" Garcia said, jumping up from her seat but hesitating before wrapping Lia in the hug she had wanted to give her since she picked up the phone. "Can I give you a hug?"

"I'd like that." Lia said, opening her arms to beckon her in. "Your hugs really do live up to the rumours." She commented as Garcia pulled away to dismiss the agent who was still stood in the doorway.

"Oh everything about me lives up to the rumours." She said with a laugh. "Take a seat, take a seat." She said, pulling her spare chair up to her set-up.

"Is Derek okay? You said it wasn't serious but that he was still in the hospital."

"The unsub had a gun and decided he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory. It wasn't a very good blaze of glory I must admit. He got one shot off before Hotch put him down." Garcia animatedly explained. "That one shot hit our favourite God of Sculpted Chocolate in his perfectly toned bicep so he's just getting stitched up then sent on his way."

----------

"Have you spoken to Lia?" Was the first thing Derek asked as he boarded the plane after Hotch, the rest of the team having already been on board.

"No, but I asked Garcia to call her and get her to meet us at the office." JJ said.

"Thanks." Derek said, running his hands over his face as he sat down.

"Did you guys have plans tonight or something?" Emily profiled, spinning in her seat to face Derek.

"It's their six month anniversary." Reid stated, not even looking up from the book he was almost halfway through despite only starting it when he got on the plane.

"Six months!" JJ joined the conversation. "I figured like four maybe five. Damn, you two are good."

"So did you guys have plans?" Emily asked, trying to keep the conversation going in the right direction.

"Just dinner at the place we went for our first date and I got her a necklace." Derek said.

"Wait, did she tell you about..." JJ trailed off, trying to gauge from his reaction whether she was overstepping or not.

"Tell me about what? Her ex didn't get her a necklace did he?" Derek panicked.

"No! No, nothing like that." JJ said. "Well- their mom gave her a necklace when she was dying and Lia refused to take it off for years. Then one day we go to visit and Will practically bites her head off for not wearing it."

"What happened to it? If you know?" Hotch asked.

"She never said, I told Will to drop it and no ones mentioned it since." JJ said. "My best guess? Justin broke it."