1.08

The day after the BAU Christmas party, Lia and Derek had arranged to meet at her favourite coffee shop that was perfectly placed in between her apartment and the school.

They were planning on getting coffee and going for a walk around a nearby park before catching a movie at the local cinema which, in Lia's opinion, sold the worlds best popcorn. 

Lia got to the coffee shop earlier, planning on getting their drinks ordered before Derek arrived so she could sneak an extra shot of expresso into hers without raising suspicion. 

The extra shot was necessary because Lia hadn't slept since Christmas Eve. The same thing happened the previous year and she had ended up in hospital as she had started to exist purely on coffee. No food, no sleep, just pure caffeine. After she was discharged, Will and JJ made her promise to tell them if it was happening again but they had so much going on between work and Henry that she didn't want to be a burden.

It wasn't their fault that every time she closed her eyes she saw his face or the knife that caused the scars on her stomach or the cigarettes that caused the circular scars on her back. It wasn't their fault that every time she thought about eating she could hear his voice telling her that she was getting fat again, that no one would ever love her when she was fat. 

So, that was why she was stood, alone, in the queue hiding her shaking hands in the pockets of her coat.

"Watch where you're going!"

Lia jumped more at the mans voice then at the burning liquid of his drink through her clothes.

"I'm sorry." 

Her apology was genuine but her voice was as quiet as a mouse as she was terrified of upsetting the man more.

"Is that all you've got to say? You should be offering to buy me another drink!"

By this point Lia had zoned out in order to prepare herself for the physical abuse that used to follow the insults, so she didn't reply, which only angered the man further.

"Excuse me sir, you walked into her, she doesn't owe you a thing."

One of the barista's came to Lia's rescue as everyone in the small shop gave the angry man their full attention.

"I was in a rush, so she should've moved out of my way!"

"Look, take this, leave and never come back."

A second barista had joined the first but this one was holding a take away cup, that presumably held a second order of the mans coffee.

"I'm the customer, you can't talk to me like that! I want to talk to your manager."

"Good job I am the manager then. Please leave before I call the police." The second barista said, reaching for her phone to show the man she was serious. The man simply scoffed before snatching the drink and pushing his way out the door as Derek came in.

The eerie silence was the first indicator something was wrong, coupled with the man who had just barged his way out and the way that one of the barista's placed their hand on a customer's shoulder told him the man had probably kicked off at the woman.

It wasn't until he got closer that he realised the woman was Lia and he rushed to her side.

"Lia?" He said, making sure he was in her eyeline so not to startle her.

"You know her?" The barista asked, her concern for Lia shining through her brown eyes.

"She's my girlfriend." Derek said, the statement catching Lia's attention and was the cause she even realised he had entered the area. 

"You can take her into the back room, I'll bring her a water in a second." The barista said, rightfully weary of Derek after seeing the way Lia reacted to the angry man.

"Thank you." Derek said, gently placing his hand in the small of Lia's back and guiding her towards the door behind the counter.

The moment the door shut behind them, Lia crumbled.

Every wall she had worked so hard to build up over the last two years, but especially over the last month, came crashing down around her. Her knees went weak as she waited for the impact of the cold floor beneath her, instead she was enveloped in a warm embrace, Derek's warm embrace.

He had wrapped one arm around her waist as soon as he noticed her begin to sway, and his other hand was on the back of her head, holding her close to him.

"Shh I've got you." He told her.

After a few minutes, there was a light knock at the door causing Lia to pull away as it opened to reveal one of the barista's holding a water and a cinnamon twist.

"Sorry, I just thought you might want these. I know after I have a panic attack I feel drained so I thought some sugar might be good." She explained, handing the water and treat to Lia.

"Thank you." Lia said, her throat hoarse from crying.

"If you need anything else, just come and grab me."

Derek sent her a kind smile as she left. Lia had sat on one end of the small sofa that was in the office, with her legs tucked under her as she took a few sips of the water.

"You called me your girlfriend." She stated after Derek sat on the opposite end.

"I did." He said simply, unsure of whether it was a question or not. "We can forget it ever happened if you want?" He offered, remembering their conversation a few weeks ago after they had watched a film at his apartment about how she wanted to take things slow.

"I liked it." Lia said, unintentionally ignoring his question. "This is my boyfriend, Derek." She said slowly, testing the way it felt on her lips as if it was a new Chapstick. 

"How about we ditch the cinema and go back to mine. We can talk or put a film on, maybe order some takeout. What ever you feel up to?" He asked, unable to hide the smile that played on his lips at her wanting to take a step further into their relationship.