2.04

Derek couldn't help the smile that grew on his face when he walked out of his bedroom to see Lia standing over the stove making them breakfast. 

She was in his apartment when he had gotten back from their last case making dinner, having been contacted by JJ and Garcia (separately) to tell her that the case was rough for him and he needed her. He would never tell them, but he was very thankful.

Something about the domesticity of Lia standing in front of the oven in one of his t-shirts with her hair tied up in a messy bun made him want to pause time and stay like this forever, no work, no babysitting, no worries. Just the two of them.

Anyone who knew Derek Morgan five and a half months ago would've laughed at that, he was known for his one night stands and even forgetting their names but Michelle Amelia LaMontagne had changed that, for the better.

"You alright there?" Lia asked teasingly, having noticed him staring at her. "Take a photo, it'll last longer."

"Ha ha." Derek said, walking towards her and wrapping his arms around her waist from behind to pull her into his chest. "I love you so much."

It didn't even register what he had said until he felt Lia tense up in his arms. He went to pull back and give her the space she usually asked for when the memories took over but as he did, she placed her hands over his, holding them in place around her stomach.

"I'm not running away." She said, partly to Derek and partly to herself.

"Okay, and I'll stay right here for as long as you need, but I've been wanting to say that for a while now and I feel like I've been stopping myself because I don't want to freak you out." Derek rambled. "I completely understand of you don't say it back because I've sprung it on you-"

"I don't think I can say it." Lia cut him off whilst spinning in his arms so she was facing him. "And it's not because I don't feel that way, it's because I used to use those words as a shield, a way to reassure myself and the people around me that everything was okay when it clearly wasn't. So in my mind those words don't mean how I feel about you." Her eyes flickered up to meet his as she finished speaking.

"Okay, I- I get that." Derek said unsurely. Lia sensed this and pushed herself up on her tiptoes, using the counter behind her as balance to press a kiss to his lips.

"Maybe one day I'll be able to say it but until then I need you to know that I feel the same." She said, leaving her hand resting on the side of his face. "You make me feel a lot of things, happy, safe, wanted and I'm not going to run anymore."

Derek turned his head so he could plant a kiss on the palm of her hand. "That means a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me."

----------

Derek's confession was stuck on Lia's mind all day and all she wanted to do was escape her thoughts and she only knew two ways of doing so.

Which was why after school, she made sure everyone had been picked up before changing into her running gear in the toilets and driving to the park near Billy's that she used to run in with JJ when she first came to D.C.

The familiar feeling of her feet hitting the concrete path whilst the white wire of her headphones bounced with each step despite the lack of music pulsing through them.

After her fourth lap, she had to stop at a bench to tie one of her laces that had come undone so she took the opportunity to check her phone.

"Miss Amelia!"

Lia's head jolted up to see a little girl tugging on her dad's arm whilst pointing at her.

"Hey, I'm so sorry about this." The dad quickly apologised as they walked over to Lia who plastered a friendly smile on her face as she tried her hardest to forget what Aaron had said.

"It's okay. I didn't realise you guys lived around here?" Lia said, looking down at Clara and smiling before looking back up to Tyler who was also smiling.

"No, we don't. We like to explore different parks from time to time, how about you? Do you live around here?" Tyler asked.

"No, but my brother does. I'm supposed to be meeting my sister by the gates, so I should probably get going." Lia lied, unable to ignore the feeling of her stomach twisting any longer. "I'll see you tomorrow kiddo." She said, not giving Tyler a chance to reply before she took off running in the direction of the park gates.

Once she got there, she didn't stop, deciding that if he really was stalking her it would be best to leave her car at the park and go to somewhere safe so she went to Billy and JJ's.