Bittersweet aftermath

A magicians Beast Chapter 19

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

And if you gaze long into the abyss

The abyss

Also gazes into you.

"Hunters are those who witness countless deaths as well as take lives themselves. Because it's usually a life or death situation, they not only fight against monsters, but amongst themselves as well. We are already 'perfect' killing machines. Same goes for you two. You wouldn't lump hunters and ordinary humans into the same category would you?"

A voice gargled slightly as it tried to speak through the liquid that rose up its throat.

"So...I'll die because I lost. It's only natural."

"...Let me ask just one question." Tae-Shik spoke, looking up through bloody eyes.

"What are you two? An assassin class with healing magic and even debuff abilities...not to mention a magician with a variety of mysterious fire abilities that is also able create inextinguishable flames. I've never heard of anything like it."

Jin-Woo stared down at Tae-Shik with a somewhat sympathetic look. As much as he wanted to give the dying man somewhat of an answer, he himself didn't know what he was nor did he know what (m/n) was. For now he knew that they were humans but even he started to doubt that with the way the other man was looking at him.

"Hm. I'm no sure either."

"Dunno..." (m/n) spoke from behind him, a hint of bittersweet sadness laced in his voice

"A babble-mouth may be useless...but having a lot of secrets isn't that great either."Tae-Shik breathed heavily as he tried to keep his blurred gaze on the two, the laughter in his head having lessened considerably compared to before.

"Kuk!"

The assassin's throat strained as the effects of the Rasaka's fang (dagger) started to settle in, his skin turning an almost undead grey.

[Effect:Paralysis was activated.]

[Effect:Bleed was activated.]

"You two won't be able to hide your skills anymore since you killed me." Tae-Shik weakly laughed as his lips twitched up into a tired smirk,he felt his body start to become colder despite the cursed flames that resided within him.

Neither of the E-Ranked hunters said anything as the cave was filled with silence, that is before Jin-Woo's voice broke through it.

"Let's say I'm a hunter that grows stronger from every fight." He asked "how strong do you think I can get?"

"Huh..."

Tae-Shik's smirk never faded as whatever consciousness he had left did its best to try and find an answer based of the user's judgement.

"Your shadow...is connected to the darkness. You will become...as strong as your shadow's depth in the dark."

The cave was quiet once again after the dying man's small speech, with each second taking whatever bit of life he had from him. Jin-Woo was quiet as he knew that Tae-Shik was probably going to die within a few moments from blood loss, not that he had any other questions for him after that one.

"And...the flames..." Tae-Shik muttered, barely alive when he saw (m/n)'s eyes widen at the last word he spoke.

"They will forever burn...even in the void...of nothingness." He said with his final dying breath, the very faint laughter in his head guiding him to the land of the dead.