Chapter 32: Misunderstanding

"How you holding up Jackson?"

Jax lifted his head to find Cassie leaning against the frame to living room. After breakfast ended, Natalia was called to help tend to something with the horses and Keith left with her not sparking him a glance. He knew he was on thin ice with the protective brother. He wanted to talk with Talia. It wasn't what she thought. He checked his phone after she left and it was just one of the writers that he was overseeing. The author was a bit eccentric but he couldn't think of what she could have possibly have said to upset her. He dropped his head looking back down at his phone.

"It wasn't what you think."

"I didn't think it was."

He looked up to her finding her walking in the room before flopping down beside him on the couch. He takes a moment to stare at her with a questionable expression.

"You don't?"

She shrugged a shoulder. "You don't seem like that kind of guy."

"Then why-"

"Nat keeps herself guarded with everyone Jackson... everyone except you. Who ever was on the phone may have triggered her walls to go up."

He pinched his nose wondering if Natalia really thought that about him. He has never given her reason to not trust him. Feeling a pat to his arm, he glanced to find Cassie standing up before walking out of the house. He sat back in the couch looking to the ceiling. Some time goes by and he hears the front door open. He stands turning to find Natalia walking in huffing before running her hand through her dark locks. Her gaze finally turning to him when she realizes she's not alone.

"Natalia"

Jax says cautiously walking to her. Her shoulders look tense and all he wants to do is relieve the stress. He walks to her cautiously as if she is a rabbit about to flee. She tilts her head slightly as he takes her hands before tugging her close to him.

"The woman on the phone was one of my clients."

"I know"

"I don't know what she said but she isn't- wait what?" He looks to her with furrowed brows.

"I know she is an author and presumed she was one of your clients." She said with an amused tilt to her head.

"Then why were you upset?" He is completely confused.

"We don't answer phones at the table Jax. It's a rule."

He stood there for a moment completely baffled before finally unfreezing and laughing as he wrapped her in his arms. His boisterous laugh still filling the room. She was never concerned about his faithfulness. She was honestly just upset about his phone.

"Excuse me sir!" She said poking his chest roughly. He pulled back still grinning and chuckling slightly. She had narrow eyes on him. "It's a sin here."

"You continue to surprise me love."

Nat froze with wide eyes. He looked to her with adoration before pecking her nose. Her voice coming out squeaky, "what?"

"I thought you were upset about another woman calling me."

The term of endearment forgotten ask she looked baffled. "Why would I- Wait did you really think I was that type of girl?!"

He laughed at her expressions easily tugging her back in as her arms wrapped around his back. His lips gently pressed to her ear as he continues to smile. "No... and I'm glad I was right. No more phones at the table, I promise."

Both remain silent as they stand there in each others arms. No further words necessary. Nat trusted him enough not to worry about other woman. Jax knows Nat is strong enough to not have self doubt and appreciates her strength.