Chapter 26: No Reception

Jackson can feel his blood run cold. He looks back to his phone seeing the call ended. He is quick to dial back but receives a direct busy signal. He tries again, again, and again but to no avail. His hand running through his hair as his heart races. 

"Hey, what's wrong?"

He looks up to find Cassie's big blue eyes looking to him in confusion. He doesn't know what to say and luckily his phone rings. He instantly answers it. 

"Hello, Keith are-"

"It's Tate." Jackson pulls the phone away from his ear looking down to see Tate's name on it. He tries to slow his breathing as he puts it back to his ear. "Who is Keith?"

"Keith is Natalia's older brother. I was just talking to him."

"Oh.. okay. Well I called about the interview. Everyone is raving about Cassie. She knocked that interview out of the park."

"That's good to know but I need to go Tate." He ends the call without a second thought making Cassie look at him like he's crazy. He turns trying to dial Natalia's number again. 

"Seriously Jackson, what's going on?" Cassie says over his shoulder. He curses under his breath after another failed call. He turns back to her. 

"It's Natalia." Cassie's face instantly showing worry. 

"What's happened?" 

"She got bit by a snake and she's unconscious." Cassie's legs almost giving out on her. Jackson is quick to catch her as her eyes begin to search his. 

"Wh-What?" Her mind trying to wrap around this news. She quickly stands back up pulling out her phone to dial Nat. It goes directly to busy. She tries three more times as she paces back and forth in front of Jackson. She then tries Keith's number but the same problem happens. She can feel her heart beat practically pounding out of her chest. The drumming of her heart the only thing she can hear in her ears. 

"Cassie!"

She snaps her eyes back to Jackson. She begins to tear up as sobs begin raking her body. He holds her as she cries against him. After a moment, her eyes widen as she pushes off of him. She quickly google searches something while Jackson looks to her confused. She dials a number and after only two rings, someone answers. 

"Thanks for calling the Dirty Dozen, this is-"

"Julio!" She interrupts him making him stop mid sentence. 

"I'm sorry who is this?"

"Cassie Lyndel. I'm Keith and Nat's friend."

"Oh yes Ms. Lyndel. What can I-"

"Nat's hurt and I can't reach her." The other end of the phone goes silent for a minute. "Julio?"

"What's happened?" He snaps out of it as she hears rustling in the background. 

"I-I don't know. I'm in California right now. I tried calling her but-"

"The cell towers have fallen. I have a land line otherwise I would be out too." Cassie doesn't know if that makes her feel better or worse. "There's a huge storm here."

Cassie looks to Jackson who is trying to follow the conversation. She tells him about the storm making him run his hand through his hair again in distress. Cassie can feel her emotions getting the better of her. "I- I need to know she is okay."

"Ms. Lyndel, I am sure Keith is taking care of whatever is going on."

"She was bit by a snake. Is that common?" Cassie asks as she hears Julio curse under his breath.